trying to make coopers premium lager heritage similar to staropramen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spybrew

Reaction score
Hi guys, i am new to this brewing but really looking forward to get to make some decent beer. I have just bought the coopers DIY kit and came with a lager kit, thats already on the way on primary fermentation. I followed instructions to the letter, lets see how my first brew will turn.
I also ordered a coopers premium heritage lager and bought a 1.5 kg coopers can light malt extract with it. I really like staropramen beer and read somewhere in the forums that the taste from staropramen comes from the saaz hops used. I would appreciate some advice on this as i ordered some saaz hop pellets and im thinking to make hop tea and then follow the procedure kit requires. Can anyone help me on any suggestions how can i get brewing beer similar to staropramen? Is the saaz hop tea a good idea and what will the results be of that.
Any advice will be precious as i am new and want to brew a beer i will enjoy,
thank's in advance for any advice.

Are you planning on using lager yeast and fermenting at lager temperatures? How do you plan to control your temperatures?

What Black is saying is that you have chosen a tough style to try to replicate as your first beer. Lager yeast are cool temp lovers, and if they are allowed to ferment at room temp your beer will be a stanky mess and you will hate it. If you can keep the temperature of your fermentation at 50 degrees then by all means go ahead with the lager kit. If you have a dry lager yeast you will want to pick up one more package and if you have a liquid yeast pick up 1-2 more packages. Lager yeast need to be pitched in higher quantities than ale yeasts. As for the adjustment on the hops, I'd just follow the recipe for now and if you dont like it substitute the Saaz hops for whatever came with the kit.

Hi guys, i am new to this brewing but really looking forward to get to make some decent beer. I have just bought the coopers DIY kit and came with a lager kit, thats already on the way on primary fermentation. I followed instructions to the letter, lets see how my first brew will turn.
I also ordered a coopers premium heritage lager and bought a 1.5 kg coopers can light malt extract with it. I really like staropramen beer and read somewhere in the forums that the taste from staropramen comes from the saaz hops used. I would appreciate some advice on this as i ordered some saaz hop pellets and im thinking to make hop tea and then follow the procedure kit requires. Can anyone help me on any suggestions how can i get brewing beer similar to staropramen? Is the saaz hop tea a good idea and what will the results be of that.

I have never brewed a beer that I did not enjoy..........just some.... more enjoyable that others :cross:

I've never heard of the beer you speak of. but use the plain light LME can for ther partial boil,about half of it. Add the saaz hops & time it 20 minutes.
Remove from heat,remove spent hop sack & stir in remaining extract till completely dissolved. Cover & steep a few minutes to pasteurize. Since it came off the heat boiling hot for the late extract additions,& pasteurization happens at 162F,you're good to go.
After the steep,chill down to pitch temp & proceed as normal.

I have never brewed a beer that I did not enjoy..........just some more enjoyment that others :cross:

sorry I was asking questions when I should have been providing info.. but ditto what was mentioned about this being a difficult beer to create. Making lagers require specialized equipment, typically a dedicated refrigerator with some sort of temperature controls to keep it within the proper temp ranges for lagers. Because of this, many homebrewers typically shy away from making lagers and focus on brewing ales (which are fermented at around room temperature).

Are you planning on using lager yeast and fermenting at lager temperatures? How do you plan to control your temperatures?

The yeast it contains i heard is half lager half ale. I can order a lager yeast if that will help more. As for the temperature where i live is pretty cold at the moment and i can get a temperature round 50 for fermentation but since it wont be controlled as it will be outside probably rise through the day and fall at night. I don't know if this can mess things up.

I read in the forums that is not a very good idea to boil the LME from ready made kits as it can remove flavor of hops and taste a bit dodgy. I read about making a hop tea. What do you think about that will it have any impact and if so what kind of impact?
I know lagers are hard to brew but i only like lagers and dont want to brew other beer i don't really like. Is it possible to brew a decent lager without too many equipment such as fridge?
Thanks for taking your time to reply.

I read in the forums that is not a very good idea to boil the LME from ready made kits as it can remove flavor of hops and taste a bit dodgy. I read about making a hop tea. What do you think about that will it have any impact and if so what kind of impact?
I know lagers are hard to brew but i only like lagers and dont want to brew other beer i don't really like. Is it possible to brew a decent lager without too many equipment such as fridge?
Thanks for taking your time to reply.
Unionrdr

You said in the first post that you also had the plain(un-hopped) can of Cooper's light malt extract. That's the one I told you to use in the boil,saving the hopped Heritage lager can for flame out. I was also under the impression that the yeast given with the Heritage lager was a true lager yeast. I'll have to look that one up.
**I looked up what info I could find on the yeast that comes with the Heritage lager. Nada,save for what's in the instructions that come with the can. It says the yeast supplied wit the "Thomas Cooper's Premium Selection" Can be fermented as low as 13C (55.4F),& as high as 40C (104F)!!!!! Yikes! 55.4 to 60F is obviously the better choice here. This yeast must be something similar to the ale/kolsh yeast I'm currently using to have this temp range. Hmmmm...& I saved that yeast packet too...

Never made one myself, its obviously very common here..but I can give some advice

Staropramen is more malty than hoppy but yes it does use Žatecký (Saaz) hops. You wont get the right flavour with your can of extract, get hold of some Czech pilsner and also a bit of munich malt to give it the right taste. Although there are several different beers made by Staropramen the most common is their light 10 degree lager which is the one I assume you are talking about. If that is the case don't go crazy on the ABV as it should be around 4%.

Latest posts

Back