Trying to grow scoby first time, can you help me?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m trying to grow a scoby for first time and now there’s something under my starter liquid(?) but isn’t normally scoby flat, and these are like fuzzy balls😅 so is this mold or scoby or something else?
E23FC2A0-5334-4529-9C08-4DCFFB380900.jpeg

Hard to tell from your photo...
How does it smell?
What was your process?

Last edited:
I’ve not heard of growing a scoby without a mother culture - not seeing one in the picture so not sure what I’m seeing. The word fuzzy usually is not a good thing... did you follow a standard tea recipe for kombucha?

I see you still have the lid attached to the vessel. Are you using a cloth ( I use a neckerchief) and not closing the lid? the tea needs air in the beginning. a side shot would be more helpful.

I’ve not heard of growing a scoby without a mother culture - not seeing one in the picture so not sure what I’m seeing. The word fuzzy usually is not a good thing... did you follow a standard tea recipe for kombucha?
I have propagated scobys from bottles of plain commercially produced kombucha in the past. It’s not hard.

You MUST get your pH below 4.2 to start a kombucha culture.

The lower the pH, the more acidic it is.

If above 4.2, there is a very good chance your batch will get infected, or fail.
20210328_143445.jpg

I start mine in the 3.7 range. The photo is after 5 days of fermentation.

You need testing paper, or digital meter.

Latest posts

Back