Trying to get what I want...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teal

Reaction score
All,

I come to you from Wisconsin, a land steeped in beer culture. I am an outcast as I can't seem to like beer (as I am getting it now). I am a big fan of the ciders tho (Woodchuck and the like).

Here is my problem, every time I order a beer, the first 1/2 pint is ok. I enjoy it and think "Hot dang I found something I can really like!!", then it either comes up in temperature or something and it gets to be not so go for me. I can't drink it.

Am I drinking the wrong beer, is the beer I am getting not being served properly? Ir is my palate simply not going to accept anything less than Woodchuck?

That is why I am looking to home brew as well. If I can make my own, maybe I can make something I like. Something I can drink more than 1/2 a pint at a time.

**Last experience was a pint of "Johnny Blood" - an Irish red ale at Titletown Brewery. First 1/2 was rather good and then it just seemed to get rather bitter or acidic for lack of a better term.**

I can dig the stouts - had a good oatmeal chocolate once, and I see my brewing to be more along those lines, a Guinness type of drink, not so bitter like the big market guys of Bud/Miller etc.

Any advice?

I think what is happening is you are drinking and "enjoying" beer that is served too cold. When it warms up a little, the real taste and nuances come into play. I think you are just not used to the taste of beer. If you say that you like Oatmeal Stouts, I would say you should you should progress to Stout, then porter-Brown Ale, etc. IMHO

Start filling up only half of your glasses with beer! But wait, then you would only enjoy a quarter of a full glass.... lol. Seriously though, you will come around I'm sure. Just start tasting different beers and see what you like. But if cider is your thing, then cider is your thing!

Good luck

The cider is the devil's lure. I love it, can drink it all day EVERYDAY but variety is the spice of life. Plus it is hard to find bars I like what serve Woodchuck.

Thanks for the tips so far...

ETA: I am still learning what styles are what Ale, Lager etc. as I don't really dig the bitter stuff - I am trying to find something smooth, Guinness is ok but I was looking at all the stuff people add to beers (adjuncts I believe they are called) like chocolate, and I thought a stout with chocolate and cherries might be nice. Waiting on the tax rebate to get my beer kit started...

Believe it or not, some people just don't like some things. I can't stand mushrooms for example, so I don't eat them. If you like stout, drink stout! If you don't like IPA's, don't drink those. There's nothing that says you need to drink all different types of beer in order to 'like beer'.

And if you like cider, why not make your own cider? Beer isn't the only thing you can make with the average starter kit. Do you like wine? You could make that too.

If you really want to figure out what you like in the way of beer, go to your local liquor store and put together a mixed pack of every style you can find. Keep notes on the ones you like and you can figure out where your tastes are.

Oh and welcome to HBT! :mug:

teal said:
I can dig the stouts - had a good oatmeal chocolate once, and I see my brewing to be more along those lines, a Guinness type of drink, not so bitter like the big market guys of Bud/Miller etc.

Any advice?

Yes, unfortunately for your taste buds if you think Bud is bitter, you really won't like most beers I think.

Still, you can easily make a dark, sweet stout. That might be something that you would really enjoy.

Welcome to HBT! :mug:

my girlfriend is similar, seems to enjoy the first few sips but i've never once seen her finish a beer.

find what you like, and drink it in quantities that suit you. lots of people find a pint of beer a little overwhelming (perhaps not the majority of this forum, but that's to be expected).

i like stouts too, and you can get away with making them less bitter by using fewer hops (still use some though!). they're also supposed to be good base beers for adding spices and flavorings, although i wouldn't mess with them until you've brewed a stout that you like on its own.

maybe alternate between homebrewed stout and cider? there's a lot of room for creativity there.

Have you tried a beer that is lightly hopped? like a Hefe? Some beers with a lot of hops that warm up turn people off, do you like Lagers? like Samuel Adams?

You like what you like. Nothing wrong with that. Just keep trying different styles when you have the chance to see if you can find something else that you might want to brew.

Lucky for me there's only a few beers I've found that I don't like, so I just never get them.

YooperBrew said:
Yes, unfortunately for your taste buds if you think Bud is bitter, you really won't like most beers I think.

Still, you can easily make a dark, sweet stout. That might be something that you would really enjoy.

Welcome to HBT! :mug:

I don't think Bud is bitter - just don't like anything about it - never have. Tried once, that was enough.

Miller used to make stuff in a plain red can. It was called just "Miller" IIRC. That was some ok stuff.

Currently the fad in GB is the "retro-beer" night. Schlitz, Blatz and PBR on sale.

teal said:
I don't think Bud is bitter - just don't like anything about it - never have. Tried once, that was enough.

Miller used to make stuff in a plain red can. It was called just "Miller" IIRC. That was some ok stuff.

Currently the fad in GB is the "retro-beer" night. Schlitz, Blatz and PBR on sale.

I don't like Bud or Miller either! You might like some craft beers, particularly some amber ales. If you think about what you like about Guiness (sweet? rich? roasty? mild? etc), then you can have a better idea of what you're looking for in a beer. I used to like malty, low hopped beers, but over the last two years or so, my palate and totally changed and I like hoppy beers. So, tastes do change.

Hey teal, if you like Woodchuck so much, I sort of wonder what you'd think of EdWort's Apfelwein ?? Personally I don't care for it, but its wildly popular and I think most everyone has made a batch or two at some point or the other.

Back