Trying to formulate a recipe...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
..and need some input on it.

I have a California Common in secondary right now, and I'm planning on making another one soon, but different this time--was wondering if anyone could help me formulate it. I know the specifics of what I want--I just want some help in getting it right.
I want to make a DARK steam beer. I want it to be lagerish (hence the california yeast) but I don't want to lager it for real due to temp and time constraints. SO....
I want this one to be oil slick black in color, but fairly clear, if you know what I mean. Not like a stout, but like dark lager. The color and subsequent lager smooth mouthfeel is what I'm going for in this one. I want the light palate feel to separate it from other heavier dark beers. I hope I'm making sense.
So far I have this....does it sound fairly accurate to the style I described?Would it work? Any suggested additions/subtractions?

Schwarzer Drache (Black Dragon)

Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00

0.5 lb. dark crystal malt, 90° Lovibond
0.25 lb. black patent malt
0.25 lb. caramunich malt
6 lbs. unhopped light dry malt extract

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 oz. Northern Brewer 50 min.
1.00 oz. Northern Brewer 20 min.
1.00 oz. Northern Brewer 50 min.

This is where I'm lost...whats a good hop to make it a tad less bitter? Just use less? What is a nice aroma hop?

Hey man, I've got a hop guide here. It lists a hop's general use, and alpha acid range. According to it, Northern brewer is recommended for all three...bittering, flavor, and aroma with alpha acids at 7-10%.

One that stands out to me for overall less bitterness is Cascade, as it's in the 4-8% range.

Sam

* Warning: Raising this thread from the grave, beware of zombies or other undead *

Orrelse, did you ever get to brew a dark CC that you were happy / impressed with? I'm looking to possibly brew a CC over this coming weekend and I'm looking for options.

My tentative recipe so far is just 2-row, Vienna, and Munich, but the idea of a darker California steam caught my interest.

LupusUmbrus said:
* Warning: Raising this thread from the grave, beware of zombies or other undead *

Orrelse, did you ever get to brew a dark CC that you were happy / impressed with? I'm looking to possibly brew a CC over this coming weekend and I'm looking for options.

My tentative recipe so far is just 2-row, Vienna, and Munich, but the idea of a darker California steam caught my interest.

I never brewed this one. I got so into pale ale around that time that this idea became lost in the shuffle....but if I were to ever do a beer like this and wanted it "dark" --I'd just brew up a recipe for a cali common and add sinamar to it for the dark color.

The first hop addition is 90% of the bittering, so cut that to 3/4 oz. You could use Mt. Hood or Crystal for the aroma addition at 10 mins. Fuggles is another good choice.

4 oz of malto-dextrin would boost the mouth feel.

Back