Trying to decide on a smoker

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure how much meat you plan to smoke at one time?? But I have a Kamado Joe and I'm digging it.

I can sear steaks and cook pizzas at 600 deg and can also cook low & slow at 225 deg for hours and hours without hardly touching it...

:mug:

20160312_181549 (1).jpg
20160312_182905 (1).jpg

I'm not saying any of the other smokers are bad, but what I'm am saying the meat you smoke doesn't know the smoker is sub <$200. I have the Masterbuilt Pro, that I got on sale for $140 and a free Propane exchange. I just love this thing. I smoke pork loins and chickens on it all the time. It's just a workhorse. I use one fist size chunk of hardwood that burns for about 45 min, then finish the cook time as an oven without smoke. IMHO I've cooked OG BBQ and it's not the same, but it's still pretty darn great.

I got an old black "Smokey Mountain" series smoker, that I have about 12 years now. It originally was a charcoal model and after using it once, I decided to convert it. Auber Instruments was unknown to me then, lol I just made my own thing.

I drilled a hole in the bottom of the rear side wall. I bought a "Brinkman" electric element that is mounted with a steal plate bottom. I put a brick on the bottom of the smoker, put the electric element on top of the brick, and ran the cord out of the hole I drilled. I bought a steal smoker box that you fill up with wood chips and you put the steel box right on top of the electric element. Works awesome and smokes away like a chimney.

A pair of tongs lets you take the box off the element to empty the chips into a metal pan, and then reload the box with more chips. The element heats the water bowl with no problem and the smokey steam bastes the meat. When you open the door, the element will bring back the temps very quickly upon closing it. The element is full on always with no control, so you are at the mercy of the outside temp. It will heat between 200 to 225 degrees on a hot day. During the winter more like 175, so your cooking times will vary on the outside temp.

The trick is I start with boiling water in the water bowl. Then every hour I dump out the water bowl and add fresh boiling water to the bowl. I like it better than charcoal for my needs. Makes the best ribs, prime rib, even lamb. Oh and every Thanksgiving that it's our turn to host, I have smoked two 17 pound turkeys in that thing (for many years now). I put them on at 4 am and a I use cherry wood and about 11 hours later everyone can't believe how juicy and delicious those turkeys are!

John

Latest posts

Back