Trying to brew something resembling Harviestoun Old Engine Oil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeansberg

Reaction score
I am formulating an extract-based recipe for a thick, dark Old Ale in the vein of Old Engine Oil, which is one of my favorite beers. I only have limited information about the original recipe, so I need a bit of help.

According to a quote Old Engine Oil is:
made from pale malt, "masses of roasted barley" and oats
The hops used are Galena, Fuggles and Kent Goldings. Of these I only have access to the two latter ones. The yeast is said to be an individual strain of Harviestoun Brewery. The listed bitterness is 26 IBU and the color should be around 92 SRM. The ABV is 6 %.

I sketched out a preliminary recipe as per the following, using Beersmith:
Batch size: 10 liters -2.65 Gallons
Boil size: 7 liters -1.85 Gallons

1,65 kg Light Dry Extract (8,0 SRM) -3.65 lbs
0,20 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2,0 SRM) -0.45 lbs
0,20 kg Roasted Barley (300,0 SRM) -0.45 lbs

Wyeast British Ale yeast

Estimated OG: 1.062
ABV: 6.0 %

That amount of roasted barley is approaching the max according to Beersmith (10 % of total). Beersmith recommended Cara-Pils/Cara-Foam/Dextrine as a replacement for oats in extract-based recipes.

I now turn to homebrewers far more experienced than me for advice. Mostly I need advice regarding the hop schedule, i.e. what combination of Fuggles/Kent to use and when. Will the British ale yeast do or should I get a Scottish ale yeast? I am also wondering about conditioning times/temperatures. :mug:

Fuggles and East Kent Goldings are apparently listed as substitutes for one another, so I might just buy one of those. Northern Brewer is listed as a substitute for Galena.

The following hop schedule should give me a bitterness of 26.6 IBUs:
15 grams East Kent Goldings 5 % AAU 60 minutes
15 grams Northern Brewer 8.5 % AAU 20 minutes
15 grams Northern Brewer 8.5 % AAU 2 minutes

Since I'm new to brewing I'm not really sure which hops to use for bittering and which ones to use for aroma, etc. Any comments?

Jeansberg,

Any luck with this??? Old engine oil is one of my favorite beers and will be trying to do something similar to what you have done. Did you get a recipe down?

Back