Trying/Testing Grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maverick986

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm still new to brewing, and have been doing some 1 gallon beer hop tests to see what I like, and which ones bring what to the table. I was thinking of doing something similar with grains. My initial thought was to try different base malts, then expand to specialty malts. I've been debating on the best way to go about trying the grains:

1. Brew 1/2-1gal batches.
2. Make "tea" with the grains.
3. Just keep making different beers and pay attention to the gains to see what may be doing what.

Anyone try any or all of these methods? My initial thought for time sake is to make teas with each, but I'm not sure how much of a difference in flavor there will be by making beer with it instead?

Thank you, in advance!

#1 & #3 (brewing) are obviously the most fun.

For #2, "Malt Sensory Methods" contains an overview of a number of techniques. The article is similar to the HomeBrewCon 2016 (Baltimore MD) presentation. The article "How to Choose..." may also be of interest. I haven't used all the techniques listed.

Over time (and with access to a well stocked local home brew store), chewing on a couple of kernels of malt is what I do most often before brewing with a new malt.

Also, "malt flavor wheels" for the malts you are using can be a good way to get an initial understanding of a malt. As an example, start here http://brewingwithbriess.com/Products/Base.htm and look at the PDF for some of the base malts. For caramel malts: http://brewingwithbriess.com/Products/Caramel.htm (and other malt groups can be found in the "menu" on the left side of the page).

update: There is a more recent set of instructions on the Hot Steep Method at the Briess web site.

Last edited:
I've brewed 1/2 gallon (unhopped) mini single malt batches to learn what a malt contributes to beer. It was a lot of work, mashing, straining, boiling, chilling, then fermenting them (using WLP007). Although the work and results were well worth it, at the time, it didn't teach me how malts work together, and once hops are added how perception changes. And again how yeast strains influence what a beer tastes like.

@BrewnWKopperKat, the hot steep method was what I had as a front runner for testing grains. I've tried chewing grains before, but have been taking with a grain of salt, since I'm new the brewing and haven't developed the tasting experience to know what chew translates to final product.

@IslandLizard, you mentioned my exact apprehension to doing doing full mash/batches of beer, with not knowing how everything plays together yet. While going through the process of making beer is fun, I haven't been sold on the amount of time investment required to sample grains, to potentially not fully appreciate how things are working together yet. I may still reserve this method for a future date when I've brewed more, and have a better understandikg/more experience with ingredient interactions.

I've brewed many batches using 100% base malt, such as 100% Pilsner or 100% Vienna. Hopped the same and brewed with the same yeast, it will give you a good idea of the differences. With small batches, what do you have to lose?

Latest posts

Back