Trying some Sorachi Ace

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beehemel

Reaction score
A friend of mine has brewed a wheat beer with only Sorachi Ace, and while I find it's lemon character very nice, it tends to give a "muddy" flavor as well when used in larger quantities. I was thinking about using it in an IPA recipe with some other hops that might compliment it. Here's what I've come up with:

Amarillo/Sorachi IPA - AG - American IPA
================================================================================
Batch Size: 5.000 gal
Boil Size: 6.000 gal
Boil Time: 1.000 hr
Efficiency: 70%
OG: 1.065
FG: 1.016
ABV: 6.3%
Bitterness: 56.3 IBUs (Tinseth)
Color: 8 SRM (Morey)

Fermentables
================================================================================
Name Type Amount Mashed Late Yield Color
Pale Malt (2 Row) US Grain 10.000 lb Yes No 79% 2 L
Cara-Pils/Dextrine Grain 8.000 oz Yes No 72% 2 L
Golden Promise Grain 2.000 lb Yes No 81% 2 L
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L Grain 16.000 oz Yes No 74% 40 L
Total grain: 13.500 lb

Hops
Name Alpha Amount Use Time Form IBU
Amarillo 9.5% 1.000 oz Boil 1.000 hr Pellet 28.2
Amarillo 9.5% 0.500 oz Boil 30.000 min Pellet 10.8
Amarillo 9.5% 0.500 oz Boil 10.000 min Pellet 5.1
Amarillo 9.5% 0.500 oz Dry Hop 1.000 hr Pellet 0.0
Sorachi Ace 10.7% 0.500 oz Boil 10.000 min Pellet 5.8
Sorachi Ace 10.7% 0.500 oz Dry Hop 0.000 s Pellet 0.0
Citra 12.0% 0.500 oz Boil 10.000 min Pellet 6.5
Citra 12.0% 0.500 oz Dry Hop 1.000 hr Pellet 0.0

Yeast
Name Type Form Amount Stage
Safale S-05 Ale Dry 2.232 tsp Primary

Mash
Name Type Amount Target Time
Conversion Infusion 5.059 gal 154.000 F 1.000 hr
Sparge Infusion 2.725 gal 170.000 F 15.000 min

I figure the Citra should lend a nice Orange/fruit flavor, and the Amarillo is big grapefruit, then the Sorachi would be a lemony accent. Anyone else see where I'm going with this?

I have never tried them nor have any of my friends or anyone I know. I cant comment, probably same situation with a lot of people.

I've used about 6 ounces of sorachi ace now in single hop beers. I've used it in a wheat ale and in two pale ales that feature some wheat. I also brewed the AHS Karankawa pale ale which features some sorachi, but the sorachi is not a major part of the flavor profile.

I like it, but you do have to be careful about how you use it. The lemony flavor can become a bit muddy (I've had one person say 'soapy'). I evolved the pale ale recipes to move to more late additions of sorachi and they tasted better to me.

I still have 2 ounces left and I think that I will bitter the next pale ale with something very clean like magnum or warrior and then bomb the kettle with sorachi in the last 20 minutes. Dry hops are mandatory for sorachi. You seem to be following this approach with your IPA.

PM me if you want to see my sorachi pale ale recipes.

I brewed a Belgian Golden Strong that was bittered and flavored with Sorachi Ace. I used just 1oz at 20 min and got a nice smooth lemony/slightly spicy flavor. I really dig this hop!

It seems that the best way to use it is late additions/dry hop, which is what I plan on doing for this recipe. The wheat beer my friend made was kind of soapy now that I think about it. I think someone described it as "dish water" flavor. I'm hoping with the other hops, the lemon and spice will come through, but I won't get the soapy flavor. Thanks for the input!

Back