true brew octoberfest ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tclary2

Reaction score
My plan is 1st fermentar 1 week...2nd fermentar 1 week...bottle and wait 2 weeks. Advice on how that sounds from brewers that have made this. Does this sound ok?:mug:

No need for a secondary fermentor. Just leave it in primary until you reach FG and the beer clears. 2 weeks is generally long enough for a full fermentation.

Hi, most don't do a secondary, just leave it for 2 weeks in the first. It will be great.
Tom

Was planning on using a clarifier in 2nd fermentar to clear it up..leaving it bottled for 2 weeks sound about right...sorry just a newbie my first brew!

Although primary fermentation should be done in two weeks, it is common to leave the beer on the yeast for a bit longer to allow the yeast to clean up any off flavors it may have produced. Starting gravity also plays a role. The higher the starting gravity the longer it takes.

Common practice is to leave the beer in primary for three weeks and then cold crash for a couple of days or four to clean the beer before bottling.

Two weeks at room temp is about the minimum for getting good carbonation on bottled beer. Temp and yeast strain can cause that time to vary.

Was planning on using a clarifier in 2nd fermentar to clear it up..leaving it bottled for 2 weeks sound about right...sorry just a newbie my first brew!

Many of us just leave it in the primary for at least 3 weeks until the yeast has eaten all the sugar they are going to eat and then take some time to clean up any mess they made and to prepare their "bed" on the bottom of your primary. The key is they are done eating when FG measurements no longer go down. Don't rush it. And if you live in cold country you could "cold crash" after and really get a clear beer.

Although primary fermentation should be done in two weeks, it is common to leave the beer on the yeast for a bit longer to allow the yeast to clean up any off flavors it may have produced. Starting gravity also plays a role. The higher the starting gravity the longer it takes.

Common practice is to leave the beer in primary for three weeks and then cold crash for a couple of days or four to clean the beer before bottling.

Two weeks at room temp is about the minimum for getting good carbonation on bottled beer. Temp and yeast strain can cause that time to vary.

In the "world" of home brewers, "Room Temp" means approx 70*F. Took me along time to figure that out here in Hawai`i where we only get "room temp" for a month or so in the winter. LOL

Like most have said here already... wouldn't bother with a secondary. Might be a consideration for something that needed 3+ weeks to finish though (bigger beers). I've let my beers ferment for anywhere from 2-3 weeks and cold-crash them for a few days and then bottle them (around 38F). I forgot to add a Whirfloc tablet to a wheat brew and was surprised at how clear it was after a cold-crash. It does make a diff. P.S. Yes! Wait at least 2 weeks after bottling! Patience was a hard lesson for me when I first started. I'm still very much the noob. :)

Back