True Brew Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rarcha

Reaction score
I started with a Mr Beer from Christmas, and is still fermenting, I always wanted to start brewing my own beer, so I decided to purchase a True Brew 5 gal kit. But I heard the 2 bucket system is not good compared to a Carboy (plastic), the biggest problem is not able to see the fermenting process, and taking hydrometer readings, due to the removel of the cover, also heard it can scratch easily, with a metal spoon, which can cause harder cleaning and bacteria to hide, but what about a plastic spoon, or do you run a chance, of bacteria with a plastic spoon. Does any else have any complaints about there plastic bucket kit.

Thankyou All for any info. :off:

Many people swear by plastic buckets as fermentors, and they certainly have a few advantages - cheap, easy to clean, relatively low chance for blow-off, etc.

The main draw-backs are that the lids don't always provide a good seal (making the airlock more or less useless), that you can't see what's going on inside the fermentor (especially at the yeast/beer interface), that they scratch easily, and that buckets are very oxygen permeable compared to the alternatives.

I personally use buckets for my sour fermentations and Better Bottles for my regular ales and lagers. Both work just fine, and it boils down to personal preference. If you can live with the limitations of bucket fermenting, and treat them with the material limitations in mind, they can produce excellent results.

Is the seal problem (I haven't experienced it with my three buckets) and issue beyond seeing activity in the airlock? If one pitches active yeast why would airlock activity matter much? If you take SG readings and can see krausen, I would think that is enough.

As far as contamination goes, just use a soft cloth to clean and it should be fine for a long long time. Only $10 to replace. To each his own, but I like buckets.

I use glass carboys, better bottles, and plastic buckets... it just depends on what I have available on each brew day. I don't worry about scratches to the bucket, just fill it up with some hot water and oxyclean, and you'll be good to go in around 30 min. As for not being able to see fermentation... that will wear off after a few brews. Go with the one that you are most comfortable with. If you are trying to find a reason to not like one, believe me, you'll find it, they all have their issues.

Latest posts

Back