True Brew Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewman988

Reaction score
I am pretty new at beer brewing (I have a few wines under my belt) and on my second pale ale. I am using a True Brew kit and the instuctions call for bottling after a week in the primary then aging for 3 weeks before drinking the beer. It doesn't mention racking into a secondary bucket.I believe I read somewhere that I should follow the 1-2-3 week rule.
1 week in primary, then rack off to the bottling bucket for 2 weeks in secondary. Then bottle and age in bottles for 3 weeks prior to drinking.
Can anyone give me a direction to go with this?

Thanks
CC

Do the instructions give you an Original Gravity and a Final Gravity? If so, trust the hydrometer.

I have never used a True Brew kit but am still using extract kits (less then a year brewing myself).

If you don't have a secondary or bright vessel ( since you mentioned doing the secondary in your bottling bucket) - I would suggest that you consider leaving the beer in your primary fermenter for about three weeks, then rack to your bottling bucket when you are ready to bottle. This is a method that many here use.

It may be possible to bottle earlier, as your kit's instructions say, but patience often pays off in this hobby.

If you don't have a secondary or bright vessel ( since you mentioned doing the secondary in your bottling bucket) - I would suggest that you consider leaving the beer in your primary fermenter for about three weeks, then rack to your bottling bucket when you are ready to bottle. This is a method that many here use.

It may be possible to bottle earlier, as your kit's instructions say, but patience often pays off in this hobby.

This is what I do and as stated above many people here do... I have noticed that many kits have directions that aren't entirely accurate. Many people on here do thinks differently than the kit states and get better beer out of them.

I also leave it in the primary for somewhere between 3-4 weeks, though you can bottle as soon as your hydrometer readings stay at about the same gravity for around 3-4 days (assuming that the readings are within the proper FG range). Anything longer than that is not necessary, but you may find your beer improves with an extra week or two in the fermenter.

I also leave it in the primary for somewhere between 3-4 weeks, though you can bottle as soon as your hydrometer readings stay at about the same gravity for around 3-4 days (assuming that the readings are within the proper FG range). Anything longer than that is not necessary, but you may find your beer improves with an extra week or two in the fermenter.

:off:

HAHA.. I saw your screen name and thought of Meriden.. I grew up there... Glad to be outta there now though..

I brew using a true brew kit, and all my beers stay in primary for 3 weeks then straight to the bottle.

Ok thanks. ....So there is no 2 weeks in a secondary...3 weeks in the primaty then in the bottles for 3 weeks providing the gravity is good.

The only reasons that I can think of using a secondary are:
1)Clear the beer ( though mine have come out very clear after 3-4 weeks in primary)
2)Dryhopping
3)Long term aging (when talking about months rather than weeks)

Other than that, don't bother risking contamination/oxygenation with a secondary.

The only reasons that I can think of using a secondary are:
1)Clear the beer ( though mine have come out very clear after 3-4 weeks in primary)
2)Dryhopping
3)Long term aging (when talking about months rather than weeks)

Other than that, don't bother risking contamination/oxygenation with a secondary.

you forgot

4) freeing up a vessel for a new batch beer.

Back