True Brew Bucket Failure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schlenkerla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Almost had a catastrophe on my hands. Came home to my apartment to find my 7.8 gal True Brew Pail leaking. Gave it a budge, then the airlock started sucking air, my brown ale was leaking out the bottom. I quickly mixed up sanitzer and sanitized my other pail and set it next to the leaker.

I popped off the airlock and lifted the leaker over the pail. In about ten seconds the remaining four gallons drained out to my other pail. I'm guessing this sucker is gonna be very oxidized.

Could've been worse finding 5.5 gal on the floor and the landlord bitching at me as well as the downstairs neighbors.
:(

The whole bottom part of the pail blew out, pretty much had a crack from 12 to 9 o'clock. Three-forths of the bottom was split. :mad:

That sounds horrible - but glad you caught it when you did!

Me too. You know, I contemplated kegging it last week. I wish I would've done it.... Now its gonna be questionable as to how good it will be.

Not to mention, I would've felt better if my dog was with me to lick up the spilt beer. Damn if my tongue isn't sore. I think I pulled a muscle in my tongue. :D

Might just be the thing that pushes you to use cornies for fermenting. Good that you saved it however.

This beer was gonna be a cask brew, this means I'll need to drink it fast. I'm not sure how quickly oxidation sets in, especially in this case.

Do you guys have any opinions on the matter? It leaked out faster than if I would have tried pouring it. It had some foam, but not real bad billowing foam. It almost leaked in a big sheet. Hopefully it just let out a bunch of co2. If so, there could be a blanket of protection.

Back