Troubleshooting still cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveCVIS

Reaction score
Bottled 15 gallons of cider a couple weeks ago, three 5 gallon batches each, 12 oz. bottles, capped. Stabilized w/ 1 Campdem tablet/gallon. Back-sweetened w/ one can thawed frozen apple juice per batch -- this did have ascorbic acid in it. Stirred/mixed very thoroughly. Bottles have been stored 68 to 73 degrees, monitored. Two weeks later, one batch is carbonated slightly, normally at this early stage, the other two are 100% still and I’m trying to figure out why. I used three different yeasts per batch and all were fermented dry; 1) Belle-Saison @ 6% 2) Safcider @ 5.25% 3) Wyeast 4766 @ 7% .

1) Is it possible the alcohol level is too high for that particular yeast to work anymore?

2) Is the ascorbic acid in the frozen apple juice inhibiting the yeast?

3) Is taking a two week sample after bottling too soon to expect bubbles for some yeasts?

4) Is the meta inhibiting the yeast? I’ve used this process for years with Cote de blanc and champagne yeast and never had any problems carbonating this way.

Any thoughts about what you think is the ‘most likely’ cause? I’m leaning toward the ‘meta’ or impatience. If they remain still indefinitely, are there any recovery options? Thanks for advice.

Why the Meta? This, as you know, will inhibit the reproduction of the yeast and is thus probably the reason for the slow carb.

How long were you in secondary?

Two weeks is hardly enough time to expect carbonation under these conditions.

Why the Meta? This, as you know, will inhibit the reproduction of the yeast and is thus probably the reason for the slow carb.

How long were you in secondary?

Two weeks is hardly enough time to expect carbonation under these conditions.

"Why the meta?" is a good question. I 'thought' that meta inhibits wild yeast and sanitizes but does not have much of an effect on commercial yeasts. I certainly wouldn't use it again at bottling if not important.

Actually, it's recommended at bottling time. It'a an antioxidant and will keep your cider from spoiling with time. Inhibiting wild yeast is something we use it for before pitching our cultured yeast.

This is pear cider, btw. All three samples tasted delicious but I’m sure it will be much different if/when the sugar gets gobbled up. Amazing how the different yeasts impact flavor. Will post an update in a few weeks after sampling again. It could be worse, AKA ‘exploding bottles.’ Thanks all for the replies.

Back