Trouble with auto-tuning Auber SYL-2352

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodbrews

Reaction score
I started the auto-tune process with my water at 145 degrees, with a set temperature of 155. After setting the At parameter to 2 to start auto-tuning, the lower display alternates between At and 155, but the element never comes on and the temperature simply keeps dropping. As I read Kal's instructions, the PID is supposed to heat the water to just above the set temperature and then cycle back and forth to "learn" the system parameters.

I have Automatic Mode (A-M) set to 2.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!

7. Auto-tune
You can use the auto-tune function to determine the PID constants
automatically.
There are two ways to start auto-tuning:
1) Set At=2. It will start automatically after 10 seconds.
2) Set At=1. Then during the normal operation, press the A/M key to start the
auto-tune.

See if the second way starts it correctly.

I gave that a try, but no luck. I do not seem to be able to get the PID to work in anything other than manual mode. What is the proper setting for AM?

I finally got it to work, by going back through every setting carefully and following Kal's description step by step. I should be ready to brew by this weekend!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Not sure if this is what tripped you up or not, but when I tuned my HLT PID, I had to switch it to autotune when I was 20+ degrees away from my desired set point.

I did finally get it to work. I went back through every setting and either set it to default or to Kal’s recommended settings. I also let the temperature drop nearly 20 degrees below the set point before starting the auto-tune. Of all the things I did, I suspect that’s the one that made the difference, as MadGus suggested. Thanks for the help guys!

I did finally get it to work. I went back through every setting and either set it to default or to Kal’s recommended settings. I also let the temperature drop nearly 20 degrees below the set point before starting the auto-tune. Of all the things I did, I suspect that’s the one that made the difference, as MadGus suggested. Thanks for the help guys!

Back