Troegs Nugget Nectar Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry for the delay. I did the extract version and ended up really close! This is, without a doubt, the best beer I've brewed so far. Unfortunately, it's long gone now. I think all of the recipes posted will get you extremely close, the toughest and most critical part is finding the hops. I was able to do that, and like I said, it was damned close.

Everyone loved it. Very well balanced despite the extreme hops. Not bitter like a Hop Wallop, just smooth and delicious. A must try for any hop head.

Maybe this question has been asked before, but how is it "nugget nectar" if nugget is only the 60 minute bittering hop?

Sounds cool?

How is Budweiser called Budweiser when it is made in America?

How is Ommegang Abby Ale called Abby Ale when it is not made in an Abby?

Ect.

Marketing.

Because that's what they named it.

Ok, yeah, got it. Perhaps bendavanza and I were indrectly questioning the accuracy of the clone recipe. It's in Zymurgy, so I imagine it's right, but it doesn't hurt to discuss. I'm not familiar enough with the flavor of nugget to know if this beer has any nugget flavor additions.

Ok, yeah, got it. Perhaps bendavanza and I were indrectly questioning the accuracy of the clone recipe. It's in Zymurgy, so I imagine it's right, but it doesn't hurt to discuss. I'm not familiar enough with the flavor of nugget to know if this beer has any nugget flavor additions.

I have heard from others that nugget is not the only hop and not the most prominent. Although most of the IBU's would be coming from it since it is the first addition and it has a high alpha. Right?

Yes high alpha. Just sort of misleading, like calling a a beer cascade pale ale but using hallertau for late additions and dry hop or something like that.
I stumbled across this thread looking for a Nugget based recipe since I've got some. This beer does sound fantastic, but I'd call it something else.

I am glad i saw this post. I was going to do the clone out of zymurgy next week and was not sure of the color. now I see that people are using some vienna I made some changes and wanted to get some feedback. I remember seeing where some one was using equal parts munich and vienna. so here is what i came up with. the hops changes were due to what i had on hand. let me know what you all think. I am doing a 12 gallon batch to end up with 10 gallon in the fermenter.

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 12.00 Wort Size (Gal): 12.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 35.90
Anticipated OG: 1.074 Plato: 18.02
Anticipated SRM: 11.5
Anticipated IBU: 109.1
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Formulas Used
-------------

Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.

Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Rager

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
47.4 17.00 lbs. Pilsener Malt(2-Row) Continental Eu 1.035 1
25.1 9.00 lbs. Munich Malt Germany 1.037 8
25.1 9.00 lbs. Vienna Malt America 1.035 4
2.5 0.90 lbs. Crystal 150L Great Britain 1.033 120

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
2.60 oz. Apollo Whole 17.00 73.5 60 min.
1.20 oz. Simcoe Whole 12.50 12.7 30 min.
2.40 oz. Apollo Whole 17.00 22.9 20 min.
3.00 oz. Zeus Whole 17.00 0.0 0 min.
2.40 oz. Cascade Whole 5.75 0.0 0 min.
2.40 oz. Simcoe Whole 12.50 0.0 Dry Hop
2.40 oz. Cascade Whole 5.75 0.0 Dry Hop

Sorry for the delay. I did the extract version and ended up really close! This is, without a doubt, the best beer I've brewed so far. Unfortunately, it's long gone now. I think all of the recipes posted will get you extremely close, the toughest and most critical part is finding the hops. I was able to do that, and like I said, it was damned close.

Everyone loved it. Very well balanced despite the extreme hops. Not bitter like a Hop Wallop, just smooth and delicious. A must try for any hop head.

hey Beershirtz, Which LHBS did you use? I would love to brew some nugget myself even though I'm about 10 min from the brewery. I've been frequenting Scotzin Bros and they seem to be well stocked.

Mr. Steve's in York (and now also has a shop in Lancaster). He's great and generally well-stocked. We've also got a new one in Lancaster called Lancaster Homebrewing.

I've wanted to get to Scotzin, but it seems like they have strange hours.

Guys: what happened to the final recipe / tasting notes.... this got way of subject IMHO only because I want to brew this and do a great job....

I carbed mine in the bottles and have not had the pleasure of a cask Nuget Nectar yet, but I think what I ended up with was pretty close. Although, as I mentioned earlier - I didn't brew a clone as much as an NN inspired brew. Still had a great balance and really nice smooth hop character. Not harsh or over-bittered (like say a Hop Wallop). Just smooth, balanced and delicious. I think the hop profile lines up very well with the original and I'm looking forward to kegging the next batch I do to see if I can get a little crisper of a finish.

so if anyone is still interested the subject, i brewed a NN clone mostly using the info I found here and troegs website (their bill is quite a bit different than the zymurgy one). my recipe was dominated by nugget hops. i had to go one mostly memory since the year old NN i saved was alot less hoppy than i remember, but it came out real close. ill post my recipe if anyone wants it

Here's the recipe I used:
7.5lbs Pilsner extract (can sub 14lb pilsner malt for AG)
2lb munich malt
2lb vienna malt
0.25lb crystal 40L malt
0.05lb chocolate malt

1.25oz 13.7% Nugget pellets (FWH)
0.5oz 15.8% Warrior pellets (75mins)
0.5oz Nugget (25mins)
0.5oz Warrior (25mins)
0.5oz 14.2% Columbus pellet (25mins) --> LHBS was out of tomahawk
0.25oz 12.2% Simcoe pellet (25mins)
0.25oz 6.7% Palisade pellet (25mins)
1oz Nugget whole hops (1min) --> don't have a hopback so whirlpooled and let steep 5mins before cooling
1oz Nugget whole hops (dry hop 2wks)
0.5oz Warrior (dry hop 2wks)
US-05 yeast

Mash at 152F in 2 gallons, sparge with 1.5L of 170F. Top to 3 gallons, add half extract (add rest with 15mins left) and boil for 75mins. Follow hop schedule.

The color is perfect, IBUs should be in range (by tinseth), and it gave me very close ABV and flavor.

Awesome, just found out my local shop got some NN in this week. I'll be sure to post any adjustments that need to be made to my recipe after I get some tomorrow.

OK, just got back from a direct comparison. The general consensus at the beer tasting was that mine lacked some in hop aroma and that mine was almost a reverse NN, bitterness upfront, vs at back end. Any idea how to accomplish that?

dcp27
Sounds like you need less hops in the bittering additions and more in the late additions (5 min to flameout) and dry hop. There is a lot of hops at 25 minutes in your recipe. 25 min tales a big toll on aroma.

I figured 2.5oz at the end would have been enough for aroma. Is 2 weeks not enough dry hop time? How do I adjust my hop flavor profile though, like move the hop bite from the beginning to the end?

2 weeks is fine for dry hop.
Hop flavor is influenced by many things. You could experiment with First Wort Hopping (FWH), hopbacks, 0 minute additions, water profile, the list goes on and on...

Making a session-style version of Nugget Nectar has been a big motivation for me. I found this site and invested in homebrewing primarily to construct a Nugget Nectar clone.

In the past 6-8 months I've brewed one extract and two all-grain versions with slight modifications. I'm not quite honed in yet, but I'll post recipes and tasting notes for anyone who is interested.

I just picked up 2 cases last friday. And i'm already through one of them. I really wish they made this beer year round.

Hey i tried to send you a priv message but you mailbox is full, i was woundering if you have the recipe for the extract Nugget nector, i love this stuff and would love to try and brew it, if you could please email it to me that would be great,

Thanks,
Jeff
[email protected]

Beer Shirtz, I too am looking for the final NN style recipe you came up with. You posted your original, then someone mentioned that you should mod it and you said yes, but that conversation was over my head. I have got to find a way to reproduce this beer! I'm also looking for opinions on the AHS Hopback Amber Clone. Two of my favorites.

BTW, I got two bombers of Flying Mouflan the other day. I tasted the first one right away and will pop the second one in another couple months to see how it mellows out.

Nugget Nectar is my absolute favorite beer. However, I will be waiting to attempt a clone until I have a few more brews under my belt.

I love Hopback, NN is definitely one of my favorite beers but I saw Flying Mouflan at the local liquor store and had to give it a shot.
Troegs website describes it as :

“We classify this beer as pushing Nugget Nectar off the side of a cliff,” said John Trogner. “It is bold and intense–think hops dipped in candied sugar and rolled in dark chocolate nibs. Over time, the Flying Mouflan transforms into lush raisin and chocolate overtones as the hops subside and the rich barley flavors come out in the beer.”

OMG the taste-ridiculous, a giddy smile with every sip, at $6 per 22oz bottle it was truly a sipper. It was intense and pretty dead on with the description. NN is roughly $12 per six pack and they dont give discounts if you buy a case so around 50bucks per case w/tax around here.

I'm making hopback clone next and will tackle NN after that but I would love to see if anyone has any clue to the Flying Mouflan cloning and if anyone else has tasted this godly beer.

Description of the beer and it's ingredients on the Troegs website ( just need to experiment with amounts )

ABV 9.3%
IBU's - 100 ish
Color - Dark Mahogany
Malts - Euro Pils, Vianna, Munich, Dark Crystal
Hops - Warrior, Chinook, Simcoe
Hopback Hops - Whole Leaf Nugget, Simcoe
Yeast - Ale
JuJu- Cane Sugar ( no idea what this is )

Any thoughts ?

I'm making hopback clone next and will tackle NN after that but I would love to see if anyone has any clue to the Flying Mouflan cloning and if anyone else has tasted this godly beer.

Description of the beer and it's ingredients on the Troegs website ( just need to experiment with amounts )

ABV 9.3%
IBU's - 100 ish
Color - Dark Mahogany
Malts - Euro Pils, Vianna, Munich, Dark Crystal
Hops - Warrior, Chinook, Simcoe
Hopback Hops - Whole Leaf Nugget, Simcoe
Yeast - Ale
JuJu- Cane Sugar ( no idea what this is )

Any thoughts ?

I've only had it once, but I'm definitely going to have to find some if its still around.

I'd start with redskins grain bill and add about 0.5lb C80, 0.5lb special B, 1-2oz chocolate, and about 1lb of beet sugar. should get you close to the color and OG.

FYI nugget nectar just hit stores again

Yes it did! My buddy got a half keg from the brewery and it was delicious. Going to have to make the trip myself to get a half keg and some cases. Been brewing a clone recipe all fall/winter to get my fix

Nugget Nectar rules! :rockin:

Yes it did! My buddy got a half keg from the brewery and it was delicious. Going to have to make the trip myself to get a half keg and some cases. Been brewing a clone recipe all fall/winter to get my fix

Nugget Nectar rules! :rockin:

which recipe are you using?

12.00 lb German Pilsner
2.00 lb Munich Malt
2.00 lb Vienna Malt
2.00 oz Nugget pellet hops
1.00 oz Warrior pellet hops
1.00 oz Simcoe pellet hops
1.00 oz Palisade pellet hops
WLP 001 California Ale yeast (2 liter starter)
Mash grains at 153 for 60 min
75 min boil

I throw the Warrior hops in at 60 minutes then use a “continuous hopping method”, mixing the Simcoe, Palisade, and half of the Nugget hops and add some of the blend every 10 minutes.

I dry hopped it with the rest of the Nugget the first few timesI made it, but the last round I decided to put the hops in a french press with hot water and make a hop tea. Rack the beer on top of the tea then let it sit for two weeks before bottling/kegging.

Back