Troegg's Mad Elf Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnderThePorchBrewing

Reaction score
Had my first Mad Elf Ale yesterday. I live less than 40 miles from the brewery for years and never had it until now. What a neat brew. Belgian strong ale with cherries and honey. normally i do not like Belgian yeast, for some reason that taste turns me off but this is a great brew, 11% ABV but you wouldn't know it hints of Belgian wit with a strong ale character with hints of cherries and honey. My wife who usually does not like these types of beer at all wants a case to drink for the winter. Anyone else?

I haven't had the Mad Elf, I've had the Rude Elf from Bethlehem Brewworks. Pretty much the same.. Good brew. Will get you ripped quick if you're not careful.

Live 10 mins from the brewery and have been a big fan. Lately though, I think I'm burned out on it. Recent thoughts are that it tastes too syrupy to me and the yeast character is overpowering.

But the Elf has served me well over the years... Here's a clone I made a few years back... Remarkably close!

15 lbs. Belgian Pils info
1 lbs. German Light Munich info
.125 lbs. Belgian Chocolate Malt info
3 lbs. Honey info
.5 oz. Saaz (Pellets, 5.00 %AA) boiled 60 min. info
.25 oz. Saaz (Pellets, 5.00 %AA) boiled 30 min. info
.5 oz. Hallertau (Whole, 4.50 %AA) boiled 10 min. info
5 lb. Cherries (fresh) (Bought these Bings in summer and froze. Thawed, pitted, and added to 2ndary.) (not included in calculations)
Yeast : White Labs WLP570 Belgian Golden Ale info

I used to like it too. Until I had a few to many last Chrismas and.....well, lets just say the thought of that syrupy cherry taste, makes me wanna hurl..... A neat brew for sure....but I'll pass. LOL

Not a fan. I'm not digging the syrupy cherry flavor in the beer. I bought a bottle and then ended up having it on tap that night. The bottle's been sitting in my fridge since and I doubt I'm going to ever drink it.

I had it recently on tap and liked it MUCH better than I had in the past. Like others said the cherry was too much and a bit syrupy. I've actually only had it a couple times. I've had it on cask once. I had some of the barrel aged stuff. That was really nice! The cherry was toned down and there was some nice vanilla and hints of bourbon.

I'd swear they changed the recipe this year. The cherry was toned down quite a bit and there was a nice smooth cinnamon flavor. I'd lke to hear from some of the regular Mad Elf drinkers and get their opinion of this years batch. I have never had it from the bottle so I don't know how much different that would be

This must be a different offering each year. I'm drinking one now and I don't taste cherry at all. The only thing I taste is Hoegarden, but worse. The belgian wheat yeast is so dominating I almost can't drink it.It"s not srupy or cherry....ummmm....y, its more like nasty. A step above undrinkable. Good thing I got some Fullera ESB and Firestone IPA to get the taste out of my mouth

I'm not a big fan of this brew from them. I had some like two years ago and passed on it last year. I might grab a draft of it sometime this week and see if anything has changed to make me like the beer. My tastes have slightly changed but not sure if it will be a benefit to Mad Elf.

So this year's batch doesn't sound as good as prior years/ I too loved it last year, but as someone posted, if it's tasting different this year, I'm not sure I'm going to rush out a buy a case just yet. The local distributor just got it in. Maybe it needs to age?

Luckily we still have a half case of last years in the basement aging, I never got a chance to brew the clone recipe

Just picked up a six pack at Calverts in Hunt Valley, MD. At $15.80 it better be a good batch this year! The case price was $55. Hope to try it out tonight.

I had 2 on of my 6 on Thurs. night and it was just how I remembered it. Although, I can easily see how it's a love/hate kind of beer. I happen to love it.

I found that if you let it sit for a few months, ideally 6 months, it tastes so much better. To me there was a big difference from when I got it and let it sit for 6 months or more.

I really liked it alot also until I bought my first case this year. When I got to the last 6 pack it was getting hard to get down. It really reminds me of cherry cough syrup now. I will just enjoy it one bottle at a time from the bar from now on..

Live 10 mins from the brewery and have been a big fan. Lately though, I think I'm burned out on it. Recent thoughts are that it tastes too syrupy to me and the yeast character is overpowering.

But the Elf has served me well over the years... Here's a clone I made a few years back... Remarkably close!

15 lbs. Belgian Pils info
1 lbs. German Light Munich info
.125 lbs. Belgian Chocolate Malt info
3 lbs. Honey info
.5 oz. Saaz (Pellets, 5.00 %AA) boiled 60 min. info
.25 oz. Saaz (Pellets, 5.00 %AA) boiled 30 min. info
.5 oz. Hallertau (Whole, 4.50 %AA) boiled 10 min. info
5 lb. Cherries (fresh) (Bought these Bings in summer and froze. Thawed, pitted, and added to 2ndary.) (not included in calculations)
Yeast : White Labs WLP570 Belgian Golden Ale info

finally after a few years brewed this two weeks ago. had been buying 2 cases a yr for my wife.
"naked" and uncarbed it tastes fantastic! racked it onto cherries today but saved a gallon+ to age without.
can't wait until the cooler weather.

Hmmm..I've only had Mad Elf once and I enjoyed it. I don't think I could drink more than 1 in a sitting though. At the price, I'd rather have some Nugget Nectar!:mug:

Latest posts

Back