Tripel slime

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rudylyon57

Reaction score
Did a Belgian Tripel from a Midwest kit last week. Fermentation was really violent and there was an odd slimy sludge on the walls of the primary when opened after 6 days.

Recipe was 13 lb grain (12 lb pilsner) along with 2 lb of rock candy, mashed at 152F, sparged at 180F with three rinses, hit 1.075 SG, pitched WL550 in starter at 75F, stored in 65F basement, wort temp elevated to 78F for first 3 days and then slowly cooled to 70F when racked to secondary. I have never seen such a violent fermentation. Had to replace airlock with 1/2" hose into flask to keep lid from almost blowing off when airlock would get restricted by slime.

Have a look at the attached photo. Does this seem normal?

IMG_0632.jpg

Looks normal to me, I've heard people say the WLP500/550 can be very very violent ferments, even at relatively cooler temps. Smells normal? Doesn't smell/taste like vomit? Probably fine.

Those Belgians are busy little buggers.
Way too early to rack it in that pic, but looks fine to me.

Looks normal to me, I've heard people say the WLP500/550 can be very very violent ferments, even at relatively cooler temps. Smells normal? Doesn't smell/taste like vomit? Probably fine.

Smells and tastes fantastic...just nasty looking. Makes me wonder how production brewers clean their fermenters?

Smells and tastes fantastic...just nasty looking. Makes me wonder how production brewers clean their fermenters?

I imagine its a combination of power washers and cleaners like PBW. I think stainless steel will clean easier than plastic, sometimes that yeast crud can dry on and really stick on plastic.

I have one of those shower heads that can change to massage and deathspray modes that I use to clean my plastic when the gunk is really stuck on, maximum heat, full blast and a thumb rub will usually get anything real sticky gone.

Chemicals, just like us.

You use Oxyclean or PWB? Chemicals.

I use One Step.

There are industrial high pressure spinning wash heads I see in industrial catalogs. Something like that would be needed. Never looked too closely at large fermenters but most appear the have a cap welded on the top making cleaning only possible through the bottom.

It's looks yummy.
I don't know about all production breweries but on an episode of brewing TV they went to stone brewing and one of the tour guides was going over the fermenters and how there's a wash apparatus inside of some kind. I know a lot of trappist being set yous are fairly modern these days so is assume they would have something similar.
If I'm mistaken, then a monk gotta get all up in that

I use One Step.

There are industrial high pressure spinning wash heads I see in industrial catalogs. Something like that would be needed. Never looked too closely at large fermenters but most appear the have a cap welded on the top making cleaning only possible through the bottom.
They use CIP (clean in place systems). Most are just a ball at the top of the fermenter that sprays the cleaners outwards and down the walls of the fermenter, where it is then recirculated back up and through the ball again for a period of time.

Looks normal to me. I did a trippel last year, and the fermentation was so violent I had to use clamps to keep the lid on the bucket.:rockin: I still had some bubble out in spite of that, but the beer turned out excellent. RDWAHAHB.

Looks normal to me. I did a trippel last year, and the fermentation was so violent I had to use clamps to keep the lid on the bucket.:rockin: I still had some bubble out in spite of that, but the beer turned out excellent. RDWAHAHB.

Thanks to everyone that helped with my concern & question. Looking forward to aging/kegging my new Tripel Slime!

I've used that yeast plenty of times and it's always lively! You'd actually be surprised at how easily that muck comes off with warm water and a cloth or a blast with a hosepipe.

The massive krausen means it's a good one for top cropping if you ever use it again.

Just make sure you don't scratch the sides of the FV when you clean it!

I've used that yeast plenty of times and it's always lively! You'd actually be surprised at how easily that muck comes off with warm water and a cloth or a blast with a hosepipe.

The massive krausen means it's a good one for top cropping if you ever use it again.

Just make sure you don't scratch the sides of the FV when you clean it!

Serum, What do you mean by top-cropping? I've never heard that term before outside a barbershop.:D

Serum, What do you mean by top-cropping? I've never heard that term before outside a barbershop.:D

It's when you take krausen off the top of your fermenting beer and use it to brew the next batch. The way to do it is skim the first lot off, which has a lot of the break material in it, then when it grows back again harvest it in a container with some sterilised water and store in the fridge until you need.

I'm not sure how you measure the quantity but what I've done before is to store a bit and use it to make a starter before the next brew day.

Back