Tripel/ IPA hybrid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kgranger

Small Wave Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I want to make something weird, so I thought maybe it would be possible to brew up some sort of hybrid of some of my favorites, maybe a tripel mixed with an IPA, with a lil bit of pumpkin (maybe that's overkill). Any thoughts on whether or not a TripelPA would turn out, or thoughts on where to begin with a recipe? I'm fairly new to building recipes from scratch. Also all grain preferred, 5 gallons to start with. Thanks for any suggestions!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I think the pumpkin would be too much, as you got the funky fruity belgian style, with a hoppy style and adding another dimension would most likely make it muddled. Just my opinion though. As far as the style, what I would do is find a basic tripel recipe and then use an IPA hop schedule and pitch with a belgian yeast blend. Or you can just use half belgian pils and half pale 2 row.

5 lb Belgian Pils
5 lb Pale 2 row
2 lb dextrose
.25 lb crystal 60

For hops maybe I would try using Amarillo, Williamette and Saaz or Styrian Goldings? Then just pitch a starter of Belgian Abbey

That of course is very basic.

I've made this or slight variations a few times and was quite pleased with the results. They have an extract version also.

edit: if you aren't familiar with NB click "additional information" for the recipe

I'd start with a bottle each of a tripel and an IPA and just blend them in a few taster glasses. See if you can get them into a proportion you like. If you can't, maybe move on to the next idea...

Thanks for the responses! The Tripel recipe with an IPa hop schedule sounds like a good plan. I'll also try mixing two beers in a glass, might as well give it a shot!

So, again, I am very new to recipe design, so I pretty much just grabbed different things from different recipes. Does this look crazy? Am I getting close?

15 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Ger
12.0 oz Caramunich Malt
1 lbs Candi Sugar, Amber [Boil for 60 min]
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min
0.50 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min
0.50 oz Saaz [3.75 %] - Boil 15.0 min
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min
1.00 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] - Boil 5.0 min
1.00 tsp Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 5.0 mins)
0.50 tsp Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 mins)
0.23 oz Saaz [3.75 %] - Boil 0.0 min
1.0 pkg Abbey Ale (White Labs #WLP530)

I'd probably add the candy sugar late, say at 10 minutes. Other than that, go for it. Which yeast?

Oops, saw your yeast choice. I think a high attenuator like a saison yeast might go better for your hoppy Belgian concept. Their dry peppery character should go well with the hops...

I don't necessarily agree with the "mix two beers in a glass" concept -- the result of that would be "half hoppy" and "half Belgian", whereas the beer you're considering would be all hoppy and all Belgian. If that makes sense.

A really good hoppy belgian beer is Duvel's seasonal Tripel Hop, although it's not quite a tripel and not really an IPA. I think it's pretty much Duvel plus a big dry hop. This year's is dry hopped with Mosaic and it's super fruity and delicious, definitely worth trying if you can find it.

A triple is better with WLP 530 than a saison yeast. WLP 530 is Westmalle yeast and Westmalle invented the triple concept...

Agreed but I think the hops would be more complimentary with the saison yeast fermented cool. Just my opinion, which is what the poster was looking for...

Try "Houblon Chouffe: Dobbelen IPA Tripel" if you can which is kind of a mix of Tripel and IPA.

The recipe I linked above I assume is inspired by this beer, with 3522/WL550 which supposedly is Achouffe's strain but using Magnum/Saaz/Cascace vs. CTZ/Saaz/Amarillo in Achouffe's. So it's not a clone but it makes a good beer.

Nix the Candi Syrup and just use table sugar. You don't need to add any color or flavor of the candi syrup, and it's also alot cheaper.

This is a great idea by the way.

Also, no dry hops? You need dry hops..

Thanks for all the replies! Definitely going to help for a second run at it. Responses came in after I had already given the brew a shot, so Abby Ale yeast was used, and homemade candi sugar in the beginning of the boil. A week in the primary and it definitely has a characteristic tripel taste with a light hop aroma and flavor. i'm racking over to secondary tomorrow so I was trying to think about dry hopping. Any suggestions as to variety(s) and amounts? Thanks!

Sti in secondary, cool conditioning for another week. It tastes great! Has a nice signature tripel taste with a hop explosion. Might be too hoppy, but I think it will mellow out a bit. Going to enter into the Maryland microbrewery festival competition. We'll see!

Latest posts

Back