Tripel IPA after 2 weeks...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baywoodbrew

Reaction score
So I brewed up an extract kit (AHS Tripel IPA) on 01/23 that my SWMBO bought me for Christmas. Normally, I try to do partial-mash, but my lady got what she thought I might like...Very nice. My OG was 1.081. Pitched two vials of WLP500 + the recommended "Yeast Fuel" and not much happened with the airlock other than a couple of days of bubbling after it took about 36 hours for apparent activity to start. Decided to check it on 02/04 and am now at 1.016. Tasted the sample and WOW...it is amazingly good. The recipe said the FG should be at 1.021.

My question is, should I let it sit for another week in the primary? Go ahead and rack to secondary and let it mellow for 3 or more weeks and then bottle? Any advice appreciated in advance...

If you like the way it tastes now, go ahead and bottle it and start drinking in a couple weeks. With IPAs that hoppy flavor fades over time so I like to drink them quick.

If for whatever reason you want it to mellow out more, you can always just leave it in bottles for a month or two instead of doing a longer primary or secondary. Yeah, before anyone mentions it, I KNOW it's not the same as bulk conditioning, but it'll work just fine.

Thanks for the reply. I may bottle this weekend then!

Interesting about the hops. What would be the typical way of handling a Tripel IPA? They seem like conflicting styles with the Tripel getting better with age and an IPA that should be consumed more quickly.

What makes a triple IPA? It doesn't seem like 7.8% would fit that. How much hops were used?

Well, the recipe kit called for an OG of 1.083 and a FG of 1.021, so this should technically be at about 8.1%. However, I came to 1.081 OG and 1.016 FG which would equal ~8.5%. A "tripel" though is a style of beer, but not necessarily a "triple" IPA with triple the amount of hops. I believe I used about 5oz. of hops at various boil times, but I'll have to go check.

i've been really curious about this recipe. i'm contemplating ordering it and doing my first AG with it. what i want to know is about the taste. i've got a DIPA conditioning right now and i don't need another hop-heavy beer in my inventory right now. so, is it more like a tripel with a little extra hops, or is it an IPA with a little bit of the tripel flavors?

My guess is it's a DIPA recipe that comes with Belgian yeast, like Wyeast 1214 or something.

EDIT: Checking the website, it seems like I was right. WY1214 == WL500 if I remember correctly.

Oh, it is definitely like a tripel with a little extra hops. Has a fruity, heady, Chimay-like character to it.

One of the few pre-carbed samples I've ever tried that tasted fantastic. Used White Labs WLP500 yeast.

Surely I'm not the only one out here that has tried AHS Tripel IPA kit? It appears to be on-sale now too at $39.99 which ain't bad for a big beer kit.

yes, i searched for the topic and there have been a few other people talk about the recipe, but i never could get anyone to elaborate. thanks for clearing it up.

right now i'm torn between this and the Southampton Double White clone from AHS for my first AG.

If it's a tripel with extra hops, what are the extra hops? Is it more like a noble hop character? I was expecting American hops from the name.

Something similar to Stone Cali-Belgique.

If it's a tripel with extra hops, what are the extra hops? Is it more like a noble hop character? I was expecting American hops from the name.

Something similar to Stone Cali-Belgique.

I ask because I made an IPA using 12oz of hops total and since it turned out 7.6%, I called it my "Barley Legal IIPA" because it barley made what was needed for a IIPA, ABV-wise.

Those numbers fall right in the middle of the Imperial or Double IPA range.

Vital Statistics: OG: 1.070 – 1.090
IBUs: 60 – 120 FG: 1.010 – 1.020
SRM: 8 – 15 ABV: 7.5 – 10%

Back