Tripel - Distinct Flavors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justinthehull

Reaction score
He first tripel I ever tasted was new belgium's and I absolutely hated it. I tried a second, Golden Monkey by Victory, to see if it was the style of beer I didn't like. Although it wasn't as bad, there was a similar taste unique to these two brews that made it undrinkable to me. I'd like to understand where tripels get this distinct flavor from so that I can avoid it. It'd be great to know if it's a certain variety of hop, because that would be a big waste of 5 gallons for me. New belgium uses Saaz, Liberty, and Target hops, and also coriander. I first thought it was the coriander, as this was an unusual ingredient, but I haven't been able to find anything saying it's a commonly used in this style.

Have you tried other belgian styles? It could be esters from the unique yeast strains used in brewing them that you do not have a taste for.

KraphtBier said:
Have you tried other belgian styles? It could be esters from the unique yeast strains used in brewing them that you do not have a taste for.

What would be a good belgian style beer to compare to? If you have a good suggestion that I haven't had, i might pick one up to find out.

Have you had hoegaarden? It has a very prominent coriander (and curacao) flavor.

You are probably taking issue with the yeast flavor rather than the coriander.

Most Tripels get the bulk of their flavor from the yeast. Spicing is not common in very many tripels.

Try some true Belgian tripels and you will get a better feeling for the style.

Try some true Belgian tripels and you will get a better feeling for the style.

+1

the two you picked are not accurate reprentations of the style.

IMO, the character should come from the yeast and fermentation. Not spices. I find new belgiums tripel to be borderline undrinkable.

Brew one up. %90 pilsen, %10 sugar, <insert yeast here>, <Styrian Golding at 90 and 10> mash low and long and ferment warm. You have new belgium beat already!

Brew one up. %90 pilsen, %10 sugar, <insert yeast here>, <Styrian Golding at 90 and 10> mash low and long and ferment warm. You have new belgium beat already!

That works. I usually go 80% Pils and 20% sugar. So anywhere in that range will give you a good tripel. BU:GU ratio about .38

Back