Trimmed bines at the end of season, but now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pshankstar

BIAB Homebrewer & Coffee Roaster
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I planted some Centennial and Chinook rhizomes last year. They did good, I just let them grow and get established so I didn't trim any of the bine during the growing season. They all produced some tiny cones, but nothing worth harvesting (which I knew for first year growth).

Now in the fall before the winter, I trimmed the bines back to about 6-10 inches tall. Now what do I do next? Should I cut them back to the ground now? Wait till it starts to warm up and trim them back to the ground then? Just leave them be? I guess I should have asked these questions months ago... Oops!

I'm located in Western NY in the Finger Lakes region so winter is in full swing right now. This spring when they start to grow, I'll trim them so the rhizomes have two bines each to focus its growth on and hopefully get some cones with harvesting this year.

Thanks in advance!

Snip the plants closer to ground level and cover the crown & surrounding area (24" diameter circle or so) with a couple of inches of composted manure.

Rotted manure should be ok because it's cold enough in your area for winter pests/diseases to not be a concern. If you were in the SE or SW, not so much.

If you don't have easy access to the fresh stuff (try Craigslist), the bagged Black Cow stuff at Lowes/HD will work just fine.

Snip the plants closer to ground level and cover the crown & surrounding area (24" diameter circle or so) with a couple of inches of composted manure.

Rotted manure should be ok because it's cold enough in your area for winter pests/diseases to not be a concern. If you were in the SE or SW, not so much.

If you don't have easy access to the fresh stuff (try Craigslist), the bagged Black Cow stuff at Lowes/HD will work just fine.

Thanks for the information! So it is safe to trim them down to the ground this week?

I am in WNY myself, and cut mine to ground level after the second hard frost of the year. It is my fourth year with my hops and I cannot wait until the spring.

I highly recommend looking at the 2016 growers notes from Great Lakes Hops. My mind was blown reading it.

https://drive.google.com/drive/mobile/folders/0B7aNkuU_q8iEREdBMkxWcFI2THM?usp=sharing&ddrp=1

They recommend not to spread fertilizer directly on top of the crown as it encourages mold and disease growth.

Just throw a couple inches of garden soil over the crown to help protect against freeze-thaw. I've also taken to doing a potash application to help protect in winter.

What I did this fall was hill my rows and a potash application. We will see come spring...

I also still haven't got around to cutting down the bines.

Back