Trickle fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yashicamat

Reaction score
I have a slightly puzzling fermentation going on at the moment.

I made up an all-extract "mini brew" of 4.5 quarts a while back. I used Muntons Premium Gold dry yeast (I've since heard about the apparent issues with this yeast - ho hum) with a starter. It lagged for about 6 hours then got going nicely. It fermented quite vigerously for 3 days, then gradually tailed off.
Thing is, it's now 13 days since it was pitched and the beer is almost clear, but yet there are still small (but steady) streams of bubbles coming off the yeast cake (which resembles a lunar landscape now due to the bubbles making little holes and mounds). I tasted it 4 days ago and it is not sweet at all.

The fermentation has been between 18 and 22 deg C at all times and everything else has gone by the book.

Does anyone know what might be causing this? There is still a little yeast in suspension but very little really.

Thanks.:)

I didn't take an OG, but just took a reading now and it was 1011/1012. Plugged my recipe into the tastybrew calculator and that reckons 1011 FG. Beer is crystal clear and fantastic flavoured by the way. :) Bit bitter at 60IBU though!

Back