tri clamp and sight glass in a keggle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stbnj

Reaction score
I would like to move from a 10 gallon megapot to a keggle or a 15 gallon kettle. I would like to use tri clamp fittings for a couple reasons. Anyway, I think I want a sight glass, like this one Brewers Hardware 1" Tri Clover Compact Sight Glass, so I can see how the color of the beer is looking. How can I do this? Whether I go with a 15 gallon kettle of keggle it will have 2 couplers on it so no weldless threads needed. I am not very mechanically inclined so I am not sure if I can just make this work easily. I also would like to be able to use some sort of quick disconnect for both draining off hot water into my mash tun and also into the carboy.

With respect I think you're over engineering your system. A keggle setup is nice, but tri-clover is a complete waste of money. Save your tri-clover stuff for your fermenters and things that actually need it. Nothing has to be sanitary on the hot side anyway.

As a side note, you'll be quite lucky if you can find a tig welder than can pop tri-clover ferrules onto your keg without completely warping things. It's tricky work, very expensive and a good tig welder is hard to find. I've seen a bunch of blichmann stuff welded with tri-clover ferrules and the marjority are warped.

That's because Blichmann kettles are slightly thicker than rice paper

stbnj - tri-clover/sanitary fitting are excellent, I can't wait for a customer to request a complete system with tri-clover fittings

bargainfittings.com sells a pvc pipe nipple that would be an inexpensive alternative and you can easily put the style you mentioned between standard NPT fittings

Back