Tri-Clad Kettle Modification for Tri-Clamp Bottom Dump Feasibility

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frogger42

Reaction score
Hi all,

Currently running a 30G nano HERMs system and lugging the kettles around for cleaning is becoming quite tedious and adding significant time to the end of each brew day.

It would seem a Bottom dump would allow me to clean in place which would significantly ease the cleaning. My kettles are tri clad bottom and my TIG welder has expressed reservations. My assumption was a weld inside and out on a tri clamp ferrule should work to mitigate any aluminum exposure and provide bonding strength.

Does anyone have experience with a similar procedure or thoughts??

Thanks!

We have done some projects with welding through our tri-clad bottoms. It does not go well. The welds get super contaminated, the stainless will de-laminate from the aluminum, the beads are not sanitary, etc. We would recommend not trying it.

We have done some projects with welding through our tri-clad bottoms. It does not go well. The welds get super contaminated, the stainless will de-laminate from the aluminum, the beads are not sanitary, etc. We would recommend not trying it.
Since everyone is headed toward electric the triclad thing is so 2017.

Would a stainless pressure cooker with tri clad bottom be a good test candidate?

Back