Sodering bottom drain into 1/4" / 5mm tri-clad bottom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rshortt

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a chance to get a 25 gallon Polarware / BrewRite tri-clad pot at a decent price. I really like having bottom drains on all my equipment since it makes Clean In Place a snap.

I want some opinions on soldering, braising, or welding a ferrule into this 1/4" / 5mm thick tri-clad bottom. I'll probably go with a 1/2" NTP coupler but 1.5" TC ferrule is also an option.

1) Do you think my 7/8" greenlee punch is up to the task of punching a hole in this? If not then it would either be a hole saw or cobalt bit.

2) If I can get a 7/8" hole punched or drilled, will I be able to dimple this with a Brewhardware / Bobby style dimple tool?

3) If I can't dimple it, I think 5mm is thick enough to weld or solder to. I guess the hole should be a bit larger to start with in this case. Comments?

4) Will it be a big deal to solder to the edge of the stainless - aluminum - stainless tri-clad? I'm thinking it will be ok.

Thanks for any input or other comments!

all I can offer is on the welding.
just weld to the stainless layers inside and out.
the aly will act like a backing plate and stay out of it.
I'd weld inside first with a back flush (and front) of gas, then outside.

Hi everyone,

I have a chance to get a 25 gallon Polarware / BrewRite tri-clad pot at a decent price. I really like having bottom drains on all my equipment since it makes Clean In Place a snap.

I want some opinions on soldering, braising, or welding a ferrule into this 1/4" / 5mm thick tri-clad bottom. I'll probably go with a 1/2" NTP coupler but 1.5" TC ferrule is also an option.

1) Do you think my 7/8" greenlee punch is up to the task of punching a hole in this? If not then it would either be a hole saw or cobalt bit.

2) If I can get a 7/8" hole punched or drilled, will I be able to dimple this with a Brewhardware / Bobby style dimple tool?

3) If I can't dimple it, I think 5mm is thick enough to weld or solder to. I guess the hole should be a bit larger to start with in this case. Comments?

4) Will it be a big deal to solder to the edge of the stainless - aluminum - stainless tri-clad? I'm thinking it will be ok.

Thanks for any input or other comments!

How did this work out?

It didn't. I figured a pot like that needed actual welding to I went for a 30 gallon thin wall pot that I soldered.

Back