Treating brewing water vs. keg for oxidation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKCAg2002

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to brew up a NEIPA this weekend. I always use the RO water that I get at the grocery store with pretty good results, so that's what I plan to do. I know that my city uses chloramines to treat the water, so I'm debating on treating the water before brew day with a 1/2 Campden tablet for 10 gallons.

Here's my question. If I treat my brewing liquor with KMS, will that "remain in solution" and provide the cold-side oxidation benefits come packaging? Or, should I forgo treating the water and rely on the machine to sufficiently filter the water and then rack in a purged keg with the KMS?

I'm getting ready to brew up a NEIPA this weekend. I always use the RO water that I get at the grocery store with pretty good results, so that's what I plan to do. I know that my city uses chloramines to treat the water, so I'm debating on treating the water before brew day with a 1/2 Campden tablet for 10 gallons.

Here's my question. If I treat my brewing liquor with KMS, will that "remain in solution" and provide the cold-side oxidation benefits come packaging? Or, should I forgo treating the water and rely on the machine to sufficiently filter the water and then rack in a purged keg with the KMS?

Assuming their RO filter is preceeded by adequate carbon filtration, chloramines shouldn't be an issue. But if they are, Campden (K-Meta or Na-Meta) will remove them.

Depending on the level of chloramines, there may be some excess K-Meta or Na-Meta that wasn't needed for the chloramines. But it will be removed via oxidation in the mash.

Kind of a dumb question. Does the anti-oxidation properties of KMS stay throughout the process so when I keg, I still have some protection from cold-side oxidation?

Kind of a dumb question. Does the anti-oxidation properties of KMS stay throughout the process so when I keg, I still have some protection from cold-side oxidation?

Its anti-oxidant property is that it becomes oxidized, preventing other things from being oxidized. It can only do that once, and will be long gone by the time you keg.

Ahh. That helps. Any harm in adding KMS to both then? The amount we use is minuscule and I can’t imagine that there would be any off flavors.

I’ve also heard that ascorbic acid is good.

Ahh. That helps. Any harm in adding KMS to both then? The amount we use is minuscule and I can’t imagine that there would be any off flavors.

IMO there's no harm in adding K-Meta or Na-Meta at packaging, assuming reasonable amounts are used. But too much can cause sulfur aromas. Also, if using Na-Meta, you might also want to pay attention to the sodium levels added, depending on how much is already in your water and depending on the beer style.

Using Metabisulfite and Ascorbic Acid to reduce cold side oxidation is a practice that has gotten more attention over the past few years. Recommended amounts are around 0.3g of Metabisulfite and 3-5g of Ascorbic Acid for a 5 gallon/20L batch. I have only played around with this a little.

There are a few threads on the topic. Here is one with a focus more on Ascorbic Acid:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/vitamin-c-the-game-changer.698328/

I've been using ascorbic acid at kegging for going on two years and like the results. It's not going to work miracles and reverse damage already sustained by the beer, but it does provide protection against incidental oxygen exposure during the kegging/purging process.

It's cheap and easy, so I like it.

BTW, there is a popular video on the Genus Brewing channel where they recommend adding 3-5 grams of Ascorbic Acid into the mash. They claim that will help with oxidation issues through packaging. I am a bit skeptical of these claims. To me it seems like if you are not following LoDo practices, there will be minimal benefit from adding Ascorbic Acid into the mash. It is then hard for me to believe that any benefits of adding Ascorbic Acid will be retained through the mash, the boil, oxygenation of the wort prior to pitching, and fermentation. Maybe there is something with their brewing system where it benefits??

Latest posts

Back