Travelling with a keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blugrazz

Reaction score
I am about acquire or at least borrow some kegging equipment from my neighbor and I would like to keg up some beer to take to the beach this summer. What kind of issues will I run into attempting to pull this off? I presume I would need to carb it up before I leave since I will only be at the beach for a week and I will be travelling about 10 hours over two days to get there. Any issues with keeping it on CO2 while travelling (i.e. explosions).

Is this worth the trouble

Only issue if you don't keep it cold the pressure will build. But the keg shouldnt explode on you. I wouldn't leave the CO2 tank in a hot car though.

You should be fine if you keep it cool and once you get to your destination, wait a while to before you tap to let it settle down. It also would make sense to cold crash and transfer to a fresh keg right before you leave. That will give you the best chance of your beer staying clear.

hey blugrazz,
easy enough to get a keg all carbed up (force or sugar) and then transport. just keep in mind you'll need time to chill and let it settle as well as have co2 to serve. where in clt you located. i'm in the university area.

Yea I should clarify, you don't need to keep it cold during the ride, just dont let it heat up too hot (don't leave it in the backseat with the sun beating down on it while your eating at Cracker Barrel.

So, it sounds like its not a big deal as long as I chill and sit on it for a good period once I reach my destination.

kpr121, I am trying to follow up on what you said regarding transfering to a new keg. As I have never done kegging before I am assumming you are suggesting to carb it up in one keg at room temperature and then cold crash it and then transfer to a new keg right before I travel. Is that right?

Straycat, I sent you a personal message regarding my location.

So, it sounds like its not a big deal as long as I chill and sit on it for a good period once I reach my destination.

kpr121, I am trying to follow up on what you said regarding transfering to a new keg. As I have never done kegging before I am assumming you are suggesting to carb it up in one keg at room temperature and then cold crash it and then transfer to a new keg right before I travel. Is that right?

Straycat, I sent you a personal message regarding my location.

The reasoning for transfering to a new keg is that yeast and sediment will flocculate out in the first keg, and if you were to take that keg along for the ride, most if not all of the sediment will be brought back into suspension. If you transfer that beer to a brand new keg, you will leave the sediment behind giving you a clear beer.

Yep. The main concern about travelling with kegs is it re-suspends all the sediment which is a true bummer. Leave it carbed up but be sure to disconnect your cobra taps. I had an incident like this with a keg in a car in years past. No amount of cleaning will ever get the smell of five gallons of beer out of your back seat cushions.

If you decide to transfer to a second keg, pickup a couple of liquid quick disconnects and a short length of tubing (1-2'). Pour off a pint or two from the first keg until the beer runs clear, then hook up the second keg liquid side to the first side. Leave the second keg pressurized, and you can just pull the pressure relief valve and beer will flow in until the pressure equalizes, then pull the valve some more.

Also, do a quick search, quite a few places sell small co2 chargers you can use with the tiny paintball 20oz. co2 bottles, save you the hassle of dragging the co2 tank and regulator around. With the paintball tanks, you just need to hit the keg with a short burst of co2 to fill the headspace, then let that push the beer until it stops flowing and hit it again.

I am about acquire or at least borrow some kegging equipment from my neighbor and I would like to keg up some beer to take to the beach this summer. What kind of issues will I run into attempting to pull this off? I presume I would need to carb it up before I leave since I will only be at the beach for a week and I will be travelling about 10 hours over two days to get there. Any issues with keeping it on CO2 while travelling (i.e. explosions).

Is this worth the trouble

So crazy that you are doing that. I am doing the exact same thing this summer except I am coming from TX and only traveling 9 hours all in a day. I was going to end up asking the same question as my trip is in 3 weeks. Where are you headed?

Thanks for all the contributions. There some good tips in here like using the small disposal cartidges instead hauling the tank down south. I'll be headed to Grayton Beach, Fla from Charlotte. Any good microbrews in the in the South Walton area.

If you decide to transfer to a second keg, make sure the receiving keg has less pressure than the donor keg before connecting otherwise you'll bubble up all that sediment in the donor keg. I know this from experience!

BYO magazine had a good article this month on building a portable kegerator out of an igloo cooler utilizing 3 gal kegs. Looks awesome, I want to build one myself.

Thanks for all the contributions. There some good tips in here like using the small disposal cartidges instead hauling the tank down south. I'll be headed to Grayton Beach, Fla from Charlotte. Any good microbrews in the in the South Walton area.

Nice. I am headed to Gulf Shores Alabama. And likewise on the tips everyone. I will be getting with my traveling partners on which idea suites us best.

nice topic. Relevant to me as I will be traveling with a keg or two soon. I need to get that stuff in a fermenter ASAP!!

It won't matter if it goes cold, warm (20 hrs drive...wrapped in blanket may still get warm,) then cold again? I plan to have it force carbed before transport....

Latest posts

Back