Traveling with kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DevilNuts

Reaction score
I'm currently embarked on a cross-country road trip with the wife (Brooklyn NY to Southern California) and we are moving, so we have the car packed full of essential stuff (pets, beer, etc.). Included are my two kegs, and I made it to Utah with them lying down in the trunk. When I hooked one of them up to share with some friends and family, the beer was totally flat. I didn't notice any spillage in the trunk, so if they were laying down and leaking, there should have been beer everywhere, right?

Now I know commercial beer kegs are transported all over the place and arrive alright, so is there something specific I did to cause the beer to flatten? Or is this just something I should expect to happen when transporting kegs for days in the car?

so, was the beer completely chilled and fully carbed before you took off? did you fully chill it down before serving again? how long was this road trip?

so, was the beer completely chilled and fully carbed before you took off? did you fully chill it down before serving again? how long was this road trip?

The beer was pulled from 34F and fully carbed, then driven approx 2400 miles (also starting at sea level and ending at about 7,000 feet) over three days. The beer was refrigerated again overnight, and when served was cold but flat. I've got the air on it now and it should be good for the game Sunday, but it was a little embarrassing to offer up my beer and have it fall flat (pun) on it's face like that.

The beer was pulled from 34F and fully carbed, then driven approx 2400 miles (also starting at sea level and ending at about 7,000 feet) over three days. The beer was refrigerated again overnight, and when served was cold but flat. I've got the air on it now and it should be good for the game Sunday, but it was a little embarrassing to offer up my beer and have it fall flat (pun) on it's face like that.

I travel with kegs cross-country, and I've never had one not be carbed. The only thing I can think of is that the gas post had a little leak in it, and if it was on its side (gas post side up), the gas leaked out that way. If the beer post leaked, or the lid seal, then there would be beer coming out, but not if the gas post or poppet is leaking. I transfer my kegs upright, though. Just in case of leaks (which have happened to me!).

I repressurized the keg, and a bit too much at that. Brought it out for football yesterday, and it was pouring pure foam. So while everyone else was watching the games, I was outside making a mess and trying to normalize my carb level.

Finally ended up taking the shortcut by hooking the gas tube to the "out" post and bubbling off the excess from underneath. That little trick (thanks youtube) saved the day,and everyone loved my beer!

Back