Trappist High Gravity Wyeast for Belgian Wit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeachBeerBoo

Reaction score
About to start my first brew, Belgian Wit extract kit from Williams. After smacking the activator pack, I noticed it's the Wyeast 3787 Trappist High Gravity. Is this the correct strain? It looks to be more suited towards a dubbel or tripel.
http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_yeaststrain_detail.cfm?ID=65

I've heard Williams provides great service, so I sent them an email asking about it.

You don't want the high gravity for your Belgian Wit. That Wyeast 3787, like you said, is made more for dubbels, tripels, and higher gravity fermentations (like 1.07+). Some people will use them in average gravity fermentations to purposely give off some fruity flavors, like in a Patersbeir, but you don't want that in a Belgian Wit.

Go for the Wyeast 3944 or the WhiteLabs WLP400 for your Belgian Wit.

No, it's not going to give a Belgian Wit. But if you pitch it, it will still make beer, and a pretty tasty one at that.

You don't want the high gravity for your Belgian Wit. That Wyeast 3787, like you said, is made more for dubbels, tripels, and longgggg fermentations. Some people will use them in shorter fermentations to purposely give off some fruity flavors, like in a Patersbeir, but you don't want that in a Belgian Wit.

Go for the Wyeast 3944 or the WhiteLabs WLP400 for your Belgian Wit.

What do you mean by long fermentations?

By long fermentations, I mean high gravities. just edited my OP, as I see this could be confusing!

No, it's not going to give a Belgian Wit. But if you pitch it, it will still make beer, and a pretty tasty one at that.

Spoke with a rep from Williams, said they've tried various strains for this kit and the 3787 is the best. Don't care if it's a Belgian Wit or not so long as it's tasty! :mug:

There is a question that we must all eventually answer... a realization we must come to... do I just want to cop a buzz or do I want to create a true work of art in my brew.

Back