Transporting kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewerJase

Reaction score
I'm bringing a keg to a friend's party this weekend. Just wondering what time is needed for the keg to settle. Is an hour or two good? or should I bring it a day before the party?

I didnt wait at all. Last party I brought mine to I literally wedged that ***** in between the dash and the front seat. got to party set it in a trashcan with ice (next time ill use my mashtun) and served away. No one will care unless you have an astounding amount of crap in your beer.

If you can easily set up the day before though? Go ahead.

Foaming is probably what you are hoping to avoid. I took a Perlick 650SS tap and mounted it with a flow control restrictor to a ball lock disconnect. The flow control helps plus you can run the CO2 low to keep it all calm. Probably wont help you this weekend but something to keep in mind for the next event.

Not worried about crap in the beer. I kegged two weeks ago and transfered to a new keg two days ago. Just wondering about foaming. I'll bring it over a day ahead just to be safe.

Not worried about crap in the beer. I kegged two weeks ago and transfered to a new keg two days ago. Just wondering about foaming. I'll bring it over a day ahead just to be safe.

Excellent move with the 2nd racking, assuming you dumped any dregs that pulled up.
Any foaming will be the result of a temperature rise, so swaddling the keg with towels or a blanket will cut that down, and getting it back in a chiller a day early will be beneficial...

Cheers!

I usually just take the keg out of my car and start pouring out of it. As long as co2 pressure is not too weird (I use a simple cartridge co2 gadget, no pressure monitoring) and keg (and beer out tubing) is cold, I didn't have any problems. I find the most important to keg nice pours throught the night is to keep the tubes cool. I also make sure to siphon a bit less when transfering to the keg so that there is relatively little crap in the keg. Once had a blocked beer out post from too much hop matter, wasen't fun at all...

Even with my ghetto setup foaming wasnt much of an issue at ~10/11 psi. More foamy than normal, but well its a picnic tap.

I could have probably reduced it to almost nothing if I had actually had water in the mix (mashtun setup) and just dunked the bev line inbetween pourings.

The biggest foam issue will be people not opening the faucet all the way. I recently did an IPA and a Hefe for a friends party. Stressed me out watching people try to pour by bearly opening the faucet. I even put a sign right in their face telling them to open the faucet all the way or they'll get a cup full of foam. Turns out most people can't read, or pour beer.

Back