Transplanting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GilaMinumBeer

Half-fast Prattlarian
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well, sort of.

I am reworking my plot for my hop yard. I currently have 3 in the ground now and have been since last March. In order to re-work the plot (rasied bed garden) I need to lift the existing Rhisomes.

The lifting is the easy part. They are in bottomless plastic pots buried to 2 inches above grade. So all I have to do is, literally, lift them up and the crowns within will be undisturbed.

When putting them back in the newly cultivated rasied bed I intend to ditch the plastic which will disturb the soil around the crown.

So, should I just place the crown in a bag and refridgerate it until I am ready to put it back in the ground. Or should I preserve it's current situation until I can place it and it's native soil back inthe earth?

My concern is that no matter what I will be disturbing the root system, possibly breaking some rootlets, and most certainly altering it's current depth of growth.

I want to minimalize the potential of stress on the year old plant.

I may need to elaborate a bit.

My only concern about keeping it in a pot above grade is for frost/freezing. We have yet to pass the late frost date here. My fridge would be cold for sure, but not freezing and I am not sure if the crowns will be taken from their current spot for the weekend or a month.

They should be fine if you take them out of the ground. If they haven't started sprouting yet it shouldn't matter if you're not out of the frost free zone yet.

Hops can tolerate freezing. Yakima country sees 60-90 days of freezing weather every year. They are also very tolerant of transplanting, since they regrow most of their root system every year.

Latest posts

Back