Transplanting hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samandbekah

Reaction score
I'm moving in a week and have a 4 year old hop plan I'd love to dig up and bring with me to my new place.

Any suggestions on the best way to transplant/store the hops to plant at the next place?

My plan is to dig up the roots this weekend and store them some how until I find the best place to plant them at my next house.

I don't know about storage, but I did transplant my hops this past spring. Mine were about 3 years old. Anyways, I carefully dug around (a lot of hand digging) and removed the roots from the ground being careful to not severe any major roots. In the end two of the four crowns ended up splitting in half. Now I have six plants.

If you can't plant right away I would suggust getting some larger pots and planting them. The pots could be overwintered indoors and then in the spring you could replant at the new house.

I' put that root ball in a pot or wrap it in burlap keep it moist, but not soaking wet. If you can replant it this fall that should be good... Are you moving within the same climate zone?

Thanks for the tips, yes moving same area just out to the burbs. I'm hoping to get them planted asap at the new place, just want to get a feel for the best place sunlight wise to plant them.

I was thinking about putting them in a 5 gallon bucket with a lot of dirt and fertilizer to keep them going and then just move it when ready...

Another question, as it's a fourth year plant, it has produced some pretty dank cones to date... Will transplanting it basically be hitting the restart button with cone production? I imagine because of the plant needing to regrow it's root system this might take a year or two before it's back to where it is...

Ok, so I saw some debates on this very topic. As noted I transplanted some very dank 3 year plants. This year their yield was mediocre and when I cut a couple comes open they had very little lupulin. I made the decision to let the plants keep just grow this year with no harvest. I'm looking forward to a better year next year and the year after.

Back