Transparent apples for cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DougBrown

Reaction score
I often heard that Transparent apples are not good for cider but nobody says why. I have access to tons of them and an sorely tempted to use them. Anybody want to talk me out of it?

Whoever says any apple is not good for cider probably never tried it and thus should be ignored.

Do it. I'm very sure it will be great!

MODS: This thread should be moved from Winemaking to the Cider forum.

I have no idea what a transparent apple tastes (or looks ) like and have no thought about trying to talk you out of using the apples you have, but I wonder how you intend to extract the juice from those apples? The conventional method is to use an apple press but before you can press them you need to prepare them (conventionally by using a scratter: a grabage disposal unit can be converted for such purposes). If you don't have the right equipment or access to the right equipment ( from a friendly orchard) you might find that your "efficiency" is barely in the double digits. Water isn't an ingredient in cider.

I often heard that Transparent apples are not good for cider but nobody says why. I have access to tons of them and an sorely tempted to use them. Anybody want to talk me out of it?

Am I right in remembering that White Transparent apples (I assume this is the same variety) are exceptionally tart and sharp?

Am I right in remembering that White Transparent apples (I assume this is the same variety) are exceptionally tart and sharp?

There are both White and Yellow Transparent apples. The White is truly like almost pure white and is more tart than the Yellow. In both cases, the skin and flesh are the same color, hence the name indicating that the skin, while not actually transparent, seems like it could be since the skin is so pale.

Cheers.

I tried making both sweet and fermented cider with yellow transparent
apples about 7-8 years ago, maybe more.
My 2 cents....don't bother. They're also not all that great for eating, but if you really want an early apple its one of the earliest ones around here.
Both the sweet and fermented cider were bland, almost flavorless, dull, insipid and although it wasn't repulsive, there wasn't much pleasure in drinking it either.
If you really have to try it, perhaps make some juice and use it in blend later in the season. I usually don't make any cider until the first of October with the better blends coming along in November and December.
But.....the the characteristics of the OP's apples may be different since his location is in a cooler zone.....maybe it would be worth trying?

I am about 3 weeks into making my first ever batch of cider, using apples from an old tree in my yard (in Colorado Springs) that I have been told is a Transparent Apple. I don't know how to confirm the variety, but the appearance is similar to photos and they are very early. I've tried to take them at their peak ripest, which only lasts a few days before they turn to mush. At that point, they make excellent sweet cider. I'm hoping the fermented product is worth drinking. I'll report back here when it's done.

For years, we've been using these for apple sauce, apple butter, apple pie, eating fresh, etc. For these purposes, they've worked out quite well, but only when they've just ripened.

Restarting the transparent thread: I have now made two season's worth of cider from a white transparent tree inmy yard. I made the cider because the other uses for this apple were really difficult to manage, sauce, jelly, or fresh. These ripen and spoil fast, so i've made cider. The reason why you don't hear it recommended is that it is high in acid and low in sugar. I added tannins by a few crab apples and rosehips. I had good results the second year by chaptalizing with brown sugar. This apple may be a good high acid apple to use with blends. I get juice about 3.5 ph.

Back