Transmission work? ugh...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SanPancho

Reaction score
so have an 01 4runner, v6 with automatic 5 speed. havent had the car too long, but noticed it was shifting a bit rough. fluid was low, added a bit of the seal restorer type additive and topped her off. better, but still a bit of a bump into drive/reverse so problem hasnt gone away but much better. last week took the family out on day trip, probably 100mi roundtrip. dummy light came on, giving me a trans shift solenoid error message P0770. also an error on evap p0440.

not much experience dealing with transmissions.

i'll top off the fluid. see how she runs. my assumption is there may be something blocking the shift valve. although when checking fluid it seemed clean. mabye the seal restorer let something loose the got into the valve?

i thought maybe doing a fluid flush could help clear any blockages, but then i also realized that the shift solenoid was only like 70-100 bucks. so im wondering if i should just skip the fluid flush and just replace the solenoid, and the filter and fluid while im there? i'm not familiar with the job (shift valve), but im fairly competent and im sure there's a blog or youtube video out there for me.

that seem like a reasonable plan of attack? or is there something i'm missing or not understanding?

Damn, sorry to hear that.
I used to have a 1990 4-Runner which was a mixed blessing, and long gone. Luckily I never had transmission problems, but quite a few other issues over the years. :yes:

Have you checked for a possible recall on the transmission and related parts?
Is there something like a 4-Runner forum?
I've picked up tons of good advice from reading PriusChat, to keep my wife's car running, while not visiting the stealership.

I've picked up tons of good advice from reading PriusChat

PriusChat :lol: never would have thought that about you!

but +1 on the forum thing, i had my back seat ripped out of my accord and fuel pump pulled, then dig some searching the world webs, and found out it was a cold solder in the relay under the dash, that turns it on.

Damn, sorry to hear that.
I used to have a 1990 4-Runner which was a mixed blessing, and long gone. Luckily I never had transmission problems, but quite a few other issues over the years. :yes:

Have you checked for a possible recall on the transmission and related parts?
Is there something like a 4-Runner forum?
I've picked up tons of good advice from reading PriusChat, to keep my wife's car running, while not visiting the stealership.

i joined one or two but there's restrictions on new members so i cant post my own issues, just have to jump on zombie threads related to my question and hope someone else answers, not really very efficient.

the problem is that i dont have a garage or work area so i cant exactly follow the troubleshooting steps per toyota. and given the crazy expense of labor out here it doenst really make sense to pay a shop for hours of troubleshooting when you could just swap the offending part and see if that fixes it. but given that i'm not very experienced with transmission work, i'm a bit hesitant to jump in to that without some advice/opinoins

when you checked the fluid was there any metal shavings in it? if so, you're going to need a pro to look at it. A fluid change is not going to hurt and it won't hurt to replace the solenoid, if after that nothing changes, you can always swap the solenoid and take it back. outside of that and doing some more research you'll prob need a pro. as for the EVAP code. gas cap is usually the biggest offender.

when you checked the fluid was there any metal shavings in it? if so, you're going to need a pro to look at it. A fluid change is not going to hurt and it won't hurt to replace the solenoid, if after that nothing changes, you can always swap the solenoid and take it back. outside of that and doing some more research you'll prob need a pro. as for the EVAP code. gas cap is usually the biggest offender.
yeah, fluid came out clean when i checked it the first time. but that was before i added the seal restorer stuff. generally ive had success with that stuff in the past, but you never know. the only way i'm really gonna know for sure is to drop the pan and take a look, and by that time i feel like you might as well just swap the valve while you're there, you know?

fluid flush out here runs anywhere from 150 to over 250. so if i get a gallon of replacement fluid and spend 80 on the valve, im probably still better off than having someone do a flush.

and hopefully i can find the leak while i'm down there and its an easy fix.

giving me a trans shift solenoid error message P0770. also an error on evap p0440.
Yeah, I agree it makes sense to tackle/replace those prime issues first, especially when they are within your realm of playing mechanic.

While you've got the pan off, look around for anything else that may look worn or has wear or hot spots. And check around for metal shavings again, also in the old filter.
I know the pain of working in the driveway, lying underneath a car on stilts. You need good light too.

I always check Rockauto to get a base on parts and pricing, but shipping from Amazon is often much faster.

Not saying it's the problem here, the transfer case also needs periodic oil replacement (~30,000 miles). It's often overlooked at the quick lube centers.

good call, might as well top that off while i'm down there. but for the lift of me i cant remember how in the hell you check the level on the case. the times i've done it has been pulling the cover to redo the seal and stop a leak. at that point you're just filling with the spec'd volume.

good call, might as well top that off while i'm down there. but for the lift of me i cant remember how in the hell you check the level on the case. the times i've done it has been pulling the cover to redo the seal and stop a leak. at that point you're just filling with the spec'd volume.
Any leaks from or around the transfer case should be visible. Isn't there a fill/inspection hole w/ a plug near the top, IIRC?Otherwise it's just a drain and refill. I usually had a quick lube center do that, while I stood there watching them, to make sure they did it. There was often a tip involved.

You are on the right track for repair, identafix shows people have fixed with several combinations of what you are saying, some with just a flush. Auto transmissions are very picky about contamination. If you are planning to do the work outside, I wouldn't. Also without a flush machine you are only changing the fluid in the pan, not the transmission itself or the torque converter, which is only about a third of the total oil. It is totally worth paying for a flush instead of just draining the pan and refilling. Good luck.

as luck would have it, my neighbors son has a pump setup for flushing, so i told him i'd give him 50 bucks and bring some beer while he runs the flush. hopefully this does it.

i had already ordered the solenoid kit from rockauto before i ran into the neighbor, so i might just end up swapping those guys out anyways. but i'll drive it for a week or two and see what happens first. i just hope to god the leak is in the pan or the lines to the cooler and not the main seal cuz thats a friggin ***** to replace and i have no desire to go there....

Back