Transitioning to AG - help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

altenmuenster

Reaction score
I just finished building a manifold for my Coleman Xtreme 70QT and am excited to take the plunge into All Grain!

Currently I have one burner, a keggle and the cooler (and my old 3 gallon boil pot from the kitchen) Do I have enough to start AG with batch sparging?

I thought I was in good shape, but now I'm having doubts. I'm working on another keggle, but it is probably going to be a while until I get that set up as a BK and my current keggle as a HLT.

Is there any harm collecting the wort in a 5-gal brew bucket and transferring it back to the keggle when I'm done?

I haven't seen that book, but a 3 gallon pot isn't big enough for ag. For an average strength (~4.5%) brew, I would suggest at least a 5 gallon pot. You could always collect the wort, like you said, then boil. Your hop utilization will suffer some with this technique.

depending on what size batches you plan on making determines the answer. If you are doing 5g batches of regular gravity you are fine. I started ag with not much more. Might want a slightly larger pot. I started with a 20qt 3 pot set from walmart got it for$25 I still use this set up for my hlt(1-2 pot utilization) not sure why though. i have enough pots and burners to go around.

I haven't seen that book, but a 3 gallon pot isn't big enough for ag. For an average strength (~4.5%) brew, I would suggest at least a 5 gallon pot. You could always collect the wort, like you said, then boil. Your hop utilization will suffer some with this technique.

a keggle was mentioned in the arsenal. and a 3g pot for hlt until his/her 2nd keggle is finished.

Back