Transition from 1 gallon AG brewing to 3 or 5 gallon brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadow_2015

Reaction score
I've been brewing 1 gallon batches for awhile and I'm looking to upgrade to a larger volume. Looking to see if 5 gallon or 3 gallon is a better preference. Also where/what equipment Needs to be upgraded.

Im in a similar situation, I just bought a larger kettle so I can move to 5 gallon BIAB batches and choose that because 5 gallons seems to be the standard size. Most recipes are based on 5 gallons, and 5 gallon carboys are way easier to find (and normally cheaper) than 3 gallon ones. That being said Im still looking out for some 3 gallon carboys for a good deal, just to have around.

Upgrade wise, you will need a larger kettle. I just got an 8 gallon which is a little on the small side, but it was a GREAT deal, $40 used from a former brewer vs >$100 for the plain jane 10 gallon at the LHBS

If you are brewing on your stove top, you may or may not have enough heat to bring 3-5 gallons to a boil, my stove struggled to bring 2 gallons to a moderate boil, YMMV

You will also want to invest in a wort chiller, ice bath in the kitchen sink works well for 1 gallon batches, is tolerable for 2 gallon batches, but for 3-5 gallons you will want a chiller just to save an hour of rocking the kettle in the ice bath and stirring the wort to drop temps significantly.

Lastly which should go without saying you will need a new, larger fermentor unless you plan to split your batches into multiple 1 gallon carboys.

Like they say, it takes the same amount of time to brew one gallon as it does 10, so why not go big!

I prefer 5 gallons. Unless doing BIAB on my glass top stove (4 gallons is the largest I have tried due to the weight mostly) or doing and experiment I want more than a few bottles of beer. Many go with 10 or 15 gallons but I would rather brew more often and have a lot of variety rather that a lot of one type of beer.

What equipment you need depends on what type of brewing you want to do. There is BIAB where you just need a large enough pot for the size batch you want and a bag for the grain and enough heat to boil the wort. There is also 2 vessel, Mash tun and boil kettle. There is 2 cooler and boil kettle one cooler is the hot liquor tank and the other is the mash tun. And there are 3 vessel systems. These have a HLT, mash tun and boil kettle. The mash tun can be a cooler or a pot. It can just be insulated or it can be direct heated. You can use gas, propane or go electric.

The options are almost endless.

You will have to research the ways to brew all grain and decide what route you want to take and how much you want to spend.

I started w/ 1 gal recipes. Way too much work for 10 bottles or so!
I quickly switched to 3 gal AG & kegging using 3 gal kegs. I chose this volume because I have limited use of my left arm & I can move a full 3 gal keg. I also use 3,5,6 gal BB's. Not only because of the weight but also safety.
After a couple of years I had an epiphany- it's just as much work to make 6 gal batches as 3. Just split the wort for fermentation, secondary, & kegging. It also gives me the opportunity to try different yeasts on the same batch, dry hops, etc.
Having said all that you'll need a bigger BK. I use a 15 gal. If you're going to be doing AG you'll need at least a 10 gal MLT & HLT. You'll need to decide on a chilling method. I use a CFC. Very efficient & you can gravity feed.
Other things to consider are temp control of larger fermentors, etc.

Do you have any recommendations on where to acquire the larger equipment? I already made 10 gallon Rubbermaid cooler mlt, and a copper tube wort chiller and usually use just the ambient basement temperature for the fermentation will that work for 5 gallon batches

There is a wealth of knowledge on these forums, and even dated threads are not necessarily dated techniques.
As for the larger equipment, depending on where you live you should have access to one or more LHBS (Local Home Brew Store) that will carry all the gear you need, though you may find better deals through one of many homebrew supply websites.

Ambient temperature varies wildly from place to place, so none of us have any clue what your ambient basement temp is.
Most ales will be happy in the low to mid 60's though every strain is different. Keep in mind that during peak fermentation the temperature of the wort may be several degrees higher than your ambient temp. So a yeast culture that's high end temp is 68 degrees may not perform to expectations in a room at 68 degrees ambient temp.

I did 10gal for 4+ years. Then due to back surgery I had to downgrade and now brew 2.5 gal batches each time I brew. I also brew two batches every time I brew. I do BIAB in a 7.5gal Blichmann pot and a stainless mesh basket. I love the variety I can have and I'm not sitting around with tons of beer I need to drink before I can brew again. If my current 2.5gal self could go back in time and tell my 10gal self, I'd say go with 2.5gal brewing.

Do you have any recommendations on where to acquire the larger equipment? I already made 10 gallon Rubbermaid cooler mlt, and a copper tube wort chiller and usually use just the ambient basement temperature for the fermentation will that work for 5 gallon batches

I purchased my BK & HLT from my LHBS. They are both Update International SS w/ tri/clad bottoms. The are very well made. The LHBS had them priced competitively w/ online plus they drilled and installed the accessories (ball valves, site glass, thermometer) for free.
As for your temp control via ambient temps it will depend on how consistent those temps are. You might want to consider at least some sort of swamp cooler. Is the a bathroom w/ a tub in your basement?

I used a turkey fryer set up when I first started AG brewing. The pot is a little small (30 quarts), but it can be done. The burner worked fine as well.

Latest posts

Back