Transferring wort from brew pot to primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dump it in.

This will also help to aerate it (assuming you have it under 80* when you do)

My primaries are buckets, so I just pour it in, through a 5 gal paint strainer bag, to catch as much gunk (non-scientific brewing term) as I can.

Thats what I did... but without the strainer. Just wanted to be sure that I didn't screw anything up.

Since aeration is not a problem it doesn't matter which you use. I use an autosiphon, but have dumped it in with a funnel (I use carboys, so just dumping it in without a funnel would have been tricky).

I pour all through a fine mesh strainer into the fermenter. Then stir roughly 5 minutes to mix well & aerate a little more. Then test,pitch,seal.

I cool then use my auto siphon to save some strain on my back. Dumping works well too.

I personally use my auto-siphon (wrapped with a 5 gallon nylon mesh paint strainer bag) to carefully transfer the kettle wort from sink height to carboy after a whirlpool. I feel this helps with the final clarity. I also bag my kettle hops.

I personally use my auto-siphon (wrapped with a 5 gallon nylon mesh paint strainer bag) to carefully transfer the kettle wort from sink height to carboy after a whirlpool. I feel this helps with the final clarity. I also bag my kettle hops.

I used to just dump it, then I dumped through a strainer. The last batch I did was a huge IIPA and I was brewing by myself and didn't feel like spilling 1/2 gallon of wort with over 10 oz of hops onto my kitchen floor so I used my autosiphon to transfer. I just opened a bottle last night and it was the clearest beer I've bottled in a long time. Not sure if this always happens, but I'm intrigued.

True that. I typically skip the cold-crash and secondary, don't use any gelatin or isinglass, and toss my dryhops in loose. My bottled beers are always quite clear. Time/gravity and careful racking/filtering matters the most. Anything additional may just help a little bit more.

Latest posts

Back