Transferring wine.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Creenative

Reaction score
I am not relishing lifting 6 gallons of wine up to siphon it to the carboy etc. I was thinking about using either a pump or vacuum pump. It watching videos of this I see a lot of air entering the wine. With beer that is a huge problem.. However how does it effect the wine? If I use either can I get a pump with less force (GPM). Is there anything I need to do to the wine?
Any Suggestions??

The lifting is a challenge as we get older, i keep my vessels at 3 ft. elevation so I transfer to floor vessel using gravity siphon and clean tubing. I assume it is in its early stages of fermentation so the transfer of juice will have some c02 activity which will prevent 02 contamination as long as potasium bisullfite is added

If transferring juice from the floor to a fermenter that's on a cart or on my bench then yes a transfer pump was made for that. I do that with cider. When I make mead I handle smaller quantities, like gallon jugs, that I can build a batch with.

I use the All in One Wine pump. It is a vacuum pump, so the wine never touches the insides of the pump. The wine is exposed to less air than when using a gravity siphon. As a side benefit, the wine is degassed by the vacuum every time you rack.

My goal is never to have to life a full carboy larger than 1 gallon. I have a bad back, and lifting larger carboys is not advisable. As we get older, we need to work smarter, not just harder. With the AIO pump, I think that this hobby will be sustainable when I reach my 70's and beyond.

Thanks very much to all that responded. This is great and helpful info. A couple of questions. How much potassium bisulfate do I add? And for degassing .. I am assuming the wine would have to be transferred several times back and forth for adequate degassing??????

Back