Transferring to secondary methods?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Syn

Reaction score
Hello all. My kit that I’m using calls for a secondary fermenter. I have all the gear to do so and would like to practice it for once instead of adding a week or two in the primary. My question is what is the best method for transferring to the secondary from the primary? I know there are a lot of opinions saying this isn’t required and so forth but I would like to say I’ve done it for no particular reason other than learning. I know the answer seems simple. But are there best practices to eliminate oxidation and contamination? This explanation seems to be lacking on the internet.

The best reply is one you already discounted. Don't do a secondary. It should not add any more time to the process. If you were going to do a week in primary and a week in secondary - just do 2 weeks primary.

If you really want to do a secondary, just siphon carefully. If using an autosiphon, get the tubing right on the bottom of the secondary vessel. Put a little wort or sanitizer in the outer tube in case the rubber end on the cane leaks air. Don't splash.

Best practices to eliminate oxidation and contamination is to eliminate the secondary.....

I would recommend not doing a secondary unless adding fruit or something.

I always transferred my beer to a secondary during the first 2-3 years when I got started. I haven’t used anything but a primary for the last 5-6 years and haven’t noticed a significant difference aside from saving time and sanitizing solution. Either way to get to your question just keep it simple. Pick up an auto siphon if you don’t have one already. Make sure your secondary and siphon are sanitized well and the tubing is long enough to reach the bottom of the secondary to minimize any splashing. Transfer your beer over and seal with an airlock until your ready to bottle or keg. There is always going to be a lot of opinions and methods that differ, but my recommendation is to just keep it simple and enjoy your home brew. Good luck

Hello all. My kit that I’m using calls for a secondary fermenter. I have all the gear to do so and would like to practice it for once instead of adding a week or two in the primary. My question is what is the best method for transferring to the secondary from the primary? I know there are a lot of opinions saying this isn’t required and so forth but I would like to say I’ve done it for no particular reason other than learning. I know the answer seems simple. But are there best practices to eliminate oxidation and contamination? This explanation seems to be lacking on the internet.

I don't think transferring to secondary is generally any different procedure-wise than transferring from primary to bottle bucket, so you're not really learning anything new. Most people use an auto-siphon for transfers. If you want to just get practice auto-siphoning do it with water and then you don't have to move your beer around and risk oxidation.

Just using an auto-siphon, like was said, with no splashing. Have everything you need ready so there's no time wasted.
You'll want little head space in your secondary so get that beer up near or into the curve of the carboy.
If you transfer your beer from primary to secondary before active fermentation is complete, you might need a blow-off tube.
Make sure EVERYTHING that is going to come in contact with your beer has been thoroughly cleaned and sanitized.

Back