Transferring from carboy to keg fitting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jturman35

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys I’m about to do my first closed transfer but was wonder what fitting is used to get from racking cane tube to keg outlet? I have a hose that slides over the poppet but seems like there would be resistance which would cause oxygen? Does this look like it would work?

IMG_1519955456.954493.jpg

Is that larger than the standard size for beer line? Have a barb fitting, but it’s too small for the inside of the hose.

fwiw, I also use 3/8" ID vinyl tubing right over the threaded ends of the QDs, with a tight worm clamp.
No sense dealing with 3/16" ID beer line resistance when you're racking - the only thing slowing the flow is the keg post/QD interface.
No evidence of it sucking air, probably because I do CO2-push transfers so there's positive pressure, as opposed to gravity transfers where the pressure is negative...

Cheers!

Is that larger than the standard size for beer line? Have a barb fitting, but it’s too small for the inside of the hose.

Yes, it's 3/8" diameter which is likely the same OD as your racking cane, so it should fit the tubing that you are racking thru.

Back