Transfering Gluten from past Batches?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boiseburb

Reaction score
I'm considering brewing a gluten free beer for a friend of mine who is highly gluten intolerant. I'm using a two-gallon plastic bucket as a fermenter.

After a good basic cleaning, will there be any traces of gluten? If there is, should I worry about it? How about bottles that have had beer containing gluten but cleaned and sanitized?

Love to see this question as a sticky, and maybe others I haven't thought about :)

Traces? Maybe, but doubtful. Consider that most commercial GF beer is contract-brewed by non-GF breweries, and that they rely on standard cleaning and sanitation measures to remove gluten. Anything that might be left behind would be in such miniscule concentration in the final beer that it would be inconsequential.

We've talked about this sort of subject many times. Things with a smooth surface isn't really as big an issue as long as it's well cleaned and sanitized. The issues tend to be with things that have catches, crevices and other hiding spots.

We generally recommend using different hoses, but generally don't have an issue with the primary/secondary containers.

Also, check it with the people you're making it for. Some people have an issue when using the same containers that gluten items have been in, even if washed etc.

I don't think there's a one size fits all approach to this. My gluten sensitivity is fairly mild, so I wouldn't have any problem even if the brewer has cross-contaminated equipment. But, I've known others that get very sick eating things that have been processed on shared equipment.

Ideally, you're brewing on dedicated GF equipment, in a kitchen that doesn't use any gluten-containing ingredients. But, since that can be impractical (especially if you yourself aren't GF, and are only making this brew for others), it's probably a good idea to let folks know that there could be some cross-contamination. They'll know their own level of sensitivity and then can make an informed decision.

I'm highly sensitive but if it is washed thoroughly and sanitized AND you don't brew a regular beer at the same time I wouldn't have a problem. The key other than a good, thorough washing, is to make sure that while you are brewing you're not doing something like making a pizza or eating a sandwich.

Latest posts

Back