Transfer to a secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tcraft18

Reaction score
As I am waiting for my batch of red ale to finish fermenting, I am wondering about using a secondary. When you transfer the beer from the bucket do you need to get any of the sediment in with it or is there still yeast floating around in the beer?

I want to brew another batch of beer tomorrow and only have a glass carboy available to ferment into will that work the same way as a fermenting bucket?

There are a bazillion threads about this... but you do what you want. I have always had a secondary... but then again I just brewed my 5th batch, and all 3 of the ones I've done were pretty darn good. If you're planning on dry hopping you can do that in a secondary or primary... I do mine in secondary. You don't want to suck up the yeast cake on the bottom, try not to disturb that. There is enough live active yeast in suspension that will continue to work (for carbonation). It really depends on your preference. I use mine mostly for conditioning, dry hopping, (or addition of coffee beans for my vanilla java porter), or even clarification. So... to each their own, but don't suck up the grossness from the bottom. Lol

As I am waiting for my batch of red ale to finish fermenting, I am wondering about using a secondary. When you transfer the beer from the bucket do you need to get any of the sediment in with it or is there still yeast floating around in the beer?

I want to brew another batch of beer tomorrow and only have a glass carboy available to ferment into will that work the same way as a fermenting bucket?

It should be safe to transfer into a secondary now. NO.. you want to leave as much of the trub on the bottom as possible.

Secondary fermentation isn't fermentation unless you are adding more sugar. I used a secondary on anything that I want to clear for competition or to give as a gift. Secondary isn't really needed for today's beer. When I started I fermented in my bucket then transferred to my glass carboy just to clear or to dry hop.

Biggest thing though... If you do transfer to secondary, let it sit for 7 days to settle anything that you might suck up from the trub/yeast cake.

There are only 3 scenarios when I ever use a secondary:

1) Some kind of dry hopping or special addition
2) I'm letting it sit in the fermenter for many months
3) I need to free up a fermenting bucket to do another batch.

Sounds to me like you need to rack to secondary due to reason 3. Just make sure it's done with primary fermentation (it hit your FG) before you move it to secondary. Also, yes you're correct, you do not want to rack over the trub at the bottom of the bucket.

Another quick tip. If you need to move your primary carboy to another location for the purposes of siphoning to the secondary, move it the night before to let it settle again. I had to move mine and it kicked up a little trub, I let this settle back down before moving.

Another quick tip. If you need to move your primary carboy to another location for the purposes of siphoning to the secondary, move it the night before to let it settle again. I had to move mine and it kicked up a little trub, I let this settle back down before moving.

I rack to secondary right after I move primary bucket. Haha. I figure it'll settle in the week anyway. Good idea to move the night before though!

There are a bazillion threads about this...

Actually, the OP is *not* asking whether or not to secondary. S/he is asking *how* to secondary.

I do not secondary but I'm pretty sure ColeVet67 is correct. After all, what would be the point of moving the beer from one formenter to another if you take everything with you; you might as well simply leave it in the first fermenter. But then as I don't secondary I *do* think you might as well leave it in the first fermenter...

What size is the carboy? If you are doing a 5 gallon batch and the carboy is 6 gallons I would not transfer to it - too much headspace. I would then use the carboy as a primary fermenter for the second beer. If it is a 5 gallon carboy transfer and start the new batch in the bucket. When transferring you do not want to transfer or stir up any of the trub on the bottom of the bucket. You can tip the bucket a little and put the bottom of the siphon in the corner (deep part) and go carefully so you don't suck up the trub.

There are a bazillion threads about this...

Actually, the OP is *not* asking whether or not to secondary. S/he is asking *how* to secondary.

I do not secondary but I'm pretty sure ColeVet67 is correct. After all, what would be the point of moving the beer from one formenter to another if you take everything with you; you might as well simply leave it in the first fermenter. But then as I don't secondary I *do* think you might as well leave it in the first fermenter...

As some people here may cringe... I believe transferring to a secondary does 2 things.. 1) Gets the "beer" off of the hops, spent yeast, and solids... leaving the beer on this yeast cake.. CAN.. alter the flavor. (maybe noticable/not noticable) 2) allows for further clarification and cleanup of the "beer". I have always practiced this method, and have good results. Another reason to secondary would be if adding additional flavorings after primary has completed. (Fruit/Hops etc.. ) I just do it to ensure clairty.. and complete fermentation. Too each their own.

STEVESKI said:
3. Just make sure it's done with primary fermentation (it hit your FG) before you move it to secondary.

Why is that? I've always wondered- it seems that a little leftover fermentation in the secondary would provide a CO2 cap and protect the beer.

Klemente said:
Why is that? I've always wondered- it seems that a little leftover fermentation in the secondary would provide a CO2 cap and protect the beer.

What most folks call "secondary" after fermentation is complete is just bulk aging in a clean vessel. Secondary fermentation takes place regardless of our decision to transfer or not, and is a gradual process of the yeast winding down and settling into dormancy. If you transfer during the tail end of this "almost done" stage, you'll likely disturb the few remaining active yeast cells causing them to prematurely shut down. So you can either transfer right after primary (exponential growth phase, high kruesen) for a true "secondary", or wait till all fermentation is complete for bulk aging, dry hopping, clarifying etc. My 2 cents is that most home brewers do more harm than good with a transfer, and should go with primary only. Unless you have a setup to transfer under Co2, or a conical fermenter, the risks of oxidation and infection outweigh the theoretical benefits...

Back