Traditional Avocado Blossom Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yeroc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I started a new batch of mead this last weekend with 5 pounds of avocado honey I purchased at a farmers market way back in October 2014. Purchased the honey, put in the back of the closet and forgotten about until recently. I decided to make this small batch of traditional mead in order to create a good sized yeast starter for a larger batch of berry mead that I want to start soon.

Original Gravity 1.126

5 lbs. avocado honey
1 gallon bottled water
1/4 tsp potassium carbonate
1 packet D47 yeast (w/ startup nutrients)
SNA: 2g DAP & 2g nutrients mixed and divided by 4.

Warmed the jug of honey in a 100 degree water bath for about an hour to make it easier to mix into the water. Rehydrate the yeast w/ start up nutrients and then step feed the yeast w/ 1 cup of the honey/water over the course of a few hours Sunday night. Added the yeast to the 2 gallon fermenter, put it in the Cool Brewing Insulated Fermentation Bag with several frozen bottles of water. The goal is to ferment this at the bottom of D47's temperature range, which is 59 to 68.

Day-1. The temperature strip on the bucket read 62. I'll try to keep it around there as things progress.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back