Tower - why drill a 3" hole?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Octavius

Reaction score
Just got a 3" tower and preparing to install on my fridge.
A 3" hole would be nice and roomy for the beer lines but I'm thinking of just going with a 2" hole. That would be plenty for the hoses (wrapped in that foam stuff for pipes):
IMAG0345.jpg

It would be difficult to drill a 3" after I've drilled a 2" so I thought I'd best ask first.

Cheers!

PS. I think a smaller hole would lessen the warming up of the beer lines in the tower. Also, drilling a smaller hole would lessen the chance of hitting a refrigerant line (aaagh!)

fwiw, my t-tower column is 3" wide, it's lined with 1/4" thick neoprene, I have six bevlex-200 beer lines and a 1-1/4" OD cold air hose running up the column - and I drilled a 2-1/4" diameter hole in my keezer lid. All the tubes fit through that easily, so you definitely don't need a 3" hole, and indeed I'd recommend going with the smallest hole that will do the job for you...

Cheers!

wi brewer,
Thanks for the reply - I've gone ahead and drilled the hole. Fridge still works so I'm happy!

IMAG0346.jpg

Thought you may get a laugh out of this. Didn't have any handles so I looked in my MG spare parts.

Cheers!

Back