Tower of Power Eletric Installation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hmattar

Reaction score
Hey Guys!
I Bought the Blichmann Tower of Power eletric + boilcoil.
In my house, i have ground, neutral, and 2 hot lines to make the 220v.
The blichmann power plug(L6-30p) uses 3 conections.
Both my hot lines and my neutral goes through my GFCI Breaker, from there they go to the Tower of Power.

How can I ground my tower of power? Or it is not needed?

Hey Guys!
I Bought the Blichmann Tower of Power eletric + boilcoil.
In my house, i have ground, neutral, and 2 hot lines to make the 220v.
The blichmann power plug(L6-30p) uses 3 conections.
Both my hot lines and my neutral goes through my GFCI Breaker, from there they go to the Tower of Power.

How can I ground my tower of power? Or it is not needed?

Well their site seems to be down or I would just RTFM. I would assume they only need H-H-G? Nothing in there should require 120V.

Hey !
Thanks for the reply!
I talked to a friend and he told me the same.
Use both hot lines coming from the GFCI and the GROUND, and forget about the neutral.

Thanks again!

Hey !
Thanks for the reply!
I talked to a friend and he told me the same.
Use both hot lines coming from the GFCI and the GROUND, and forget about the neutral.

Thanks again!

That will not work. GFCI breakers and receptacles work by reading the amperage across the neutral wire. Assuming that the GFCI was installed properly, not using the neutral wire will cause the GFCI to not function. If you need any other help let me know.

I stand corrected. After my previous post I realized that I had overthought some things.

As long as the GFCI breaker is hooked up properly, a LOAD neutral wire is not required because the equipment that this breaker is feeding will only be working on 220 volts. However, the LINE neutral wire will have to still be hooked up to the neutral bus bar inside the main breaker panel.

I apologize for the mixup!

I stand corrected. After my previous post I realized that I had overthought some things.

As long as the GFCI breaker is hooked up properly, a LOAD neutral wire is not required because the equipment that this breaker is feeding will only be working on 220 volts. However, the LINE neutral wire will have to still be hooked up to the neutral bus bar inside the main breaker panel.

I apologize for the mixup!

Thanks mate! I'll give it a try on tuesday and post what happens!

Im in the same boat. I just spent over 2 hours trying to find this answer. Im preparing to purchase the Blichmann Electric TOP but I only have a 3 prong dryer outlet. I planned to install the spa panel and want to mount the 6-30 flanged outlet in my panel. Do I just not connect the top yellow wiring coming out from the GFCI and just do the blue/red/green to the 6-30 outlet? I linked PJs spa panel image.
power-panel-6.jpg

Help please im getting discouraged not being able to find the answer!

Im in the same boat. I just spent over 2 hours trying to find this answer. Im preparing to purchase the Blichmann Electric TOP but I only have a 3 prong dryer outlet. I planned to install the spa panel and want to mount the 6-30 flanged outlet in my panel. Do I just not connect the top yellow wiring coming out from the GFCI and just do the blue/red/green to the 6-30 outlet? I linked PJs spa panel image.
power-panel-6.jpg

Yes.

power-panel-6.jpg

From the GFCI you will send just the 2 hot wires to the outlet. Plus the ground that doesn't go through the gfci.
The ground doesn't touch anywhere(either gfci or neutral bus).

Thanks mate! I'll give it a try on tuesday and post what happens!

So. Not using neutral at all for the 240v system. 2 hot lines passing through gfci and going to the outlet + ground.
System is working perfect.

Thanks everyone for the help

So. Not using the ground at all for the 240v system. 2 hot lines passing through gfci and going to the outlet + ground.
System is working perfect.

Thanks everyone for the help
Not having your setup properly grounded would be very dangerous and doing this intentionally would be foolish IMHO (not to mention the guys that write the codes for safety reasons). I would suggest wiring it correctly. It may work ok now but its certainly not as safe if there is ever a problem.

your statement isnt very clear since you say your not using a ground and yet mention you are in the very next sentence? So I'm not sure if you are or aren't using a ground to the gfci and your kettles... or just the GFCI

Latest posts

Back