Tots

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Love the tot!

• Yes

• Hell Yes

Results are only viewable after voting.
tiny_tots.jpg

I cook on a kamado grill. A bit of a different game than a gas or kettle style grill. Tots are par fried before packaging so they want to be crispy... Hard not to get them that way. The bacon does effect it a bit, but not that much. I've tried hot and fast, on a cast iron plate, and even a smoker. Finally I cooked them like you would an ABT. I decided on the temp because that's what I do pork ribs at and these are great aps while we're waiting for the main course.

I cook on a Kamado Joe. Now I want a detailed recipe :)

Whatever you do to tots to make them taste good would probably work on cardboard...or grass clippings.....the drive way....roof shingles.....u get the idea...

NO to Tots!

Down with Tots!

Just say no to Tots!

Now, let's talk about the truest and bestest form of potato ever discovered by mankind- salt & vinegar fried potatoes.

Yes. Just like the potato chip, but served crispy and a bit thicker than chips as a side to steak.

I am addicted to these, and make them as often as I can get away with it.

Tots are simply sad by comparison.

potato chips are not tots...totally wrong food group for this discussion! :)

Tots are the chip and particle board of the potato world. They're made of all the scraps left from making better potato dishes. They're floor sweepings.

Tots are not chips. That's like telling a 1 year old that cheerios are not a snack food! crazy talk!

Interesting theory. Check it out and get back to us.

Well played ... Well played ... I give tots a little credit for texture but when it comes to taste they have almost as much appeal as unsalted boiled water....almost...

I have kids so I've made my share of tots but there was never any honor in it...

I cook on a Kamado Joe. Now I want a detailed recipe :)

GO, GO, KAMADO JOE!!

In that case, my friend, here we go...

Ingredients:
Tater tots, mostly defrosted.
Bacon, halved.

Seasoning:
Brown sugar
or
Cayenne pepper
or
Chili powder

Dipping sauce:
Barbecue sauce
or
Garlic/sour cream dip
This is a local gal who sells these dip kits at the Saturday Market. She will ship nationwide.

Assembly instructions are pretty straight forward; wrap the tots with the bacon.

Instead of toothpicking each one I prefer to skewer a group of them. Just make sure they are spaced away from each other or else they won't crisp up.

Like I said before, this is an appetizer I make when I make ribs. So when the ribs go on so do the tots. Because the temp hovers between 220° and 250° I like to line them up around the edge right above the gap of the heat deflector and fire box where the most heat is. If I were to set up just for making tots I would probably go hotter, but stay indirect.

Cook until the bacon is crispy. 30 - 45 minutes.

I would've been more than happy to do a write-up with tons of pictures, but I'm in Portland and it's dumping about 80 billion gallons of liquid bulls**t with no end in sight.

Tots are the chip and particle board of the potato world. They're made of all the scraps left from making better potato dishes. They're floor sweepings.

Who cares if they're leftover odds-and-ends? Delicious. Next you're going to try and sway me against a nice brat or hot dog. You wanna get cut?

Whatever you do to tots to make them taste good would probably work on cardboard...or grass clippings.....the drive way....roof shingles.....u get the idea...

Sure, wrapping asparagus in bacon can make it taste better. What was your point again?

Wedges, steak fries, home fries... all terrible. Terrible usually undercooked or at least soggy textured garbage.

You're doing it wrong then. And Gila's got you on the fried okra, it's got to be at least tied with the Tot; fried okra with some nice gravy ladled over it...
Man, that's love in a bowl! :ban:
Though the TaterTot is still awesome!
Regards, GF.

I land on the pro tot side

There are, in fact, no legitimate ways to cook any form of potato that I would not enjoy

Adding bizarre **** is against Grog's Rules for Food and will NOT be tolerated

And there are few exceptions to the "potatoes must be cooked twice " rule

Back