Totally wrong volume...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idiosyncronaut

Reaction score
Hypothetically, if a new brewer was working on their first batch, and they had a recipe that was for 5 gallons and they actually used the wrong container to measure out volume and ended up brewing a 5 gal recipe with only ~3-3.5 gallons of water...

What exactly would happen...? To the flavor? To the extra fermentables? To the entire process?

p.s. asking for a friend... definitely not me... :cross:

Who knows.. maybe this friend of yours has made the best beer ever by accident. I guess you'll... I mean, he'll have to wait and taste it when it's done if there's nothing else that can be done.

You could just add water to get back to the 5g mark...

Other things equal, your starting gravity will be ~50% higher than planned (5g / 3-3.5g = ~50%)

If your friend has just done this, he can just top off with water and be fine.

If your friend already has it in bottles, he's basically just made "Imperial" whatever-the-stye-was. If that is an IPA, that might be tasty. If you .... oops.... your friend just made an "Imperial" american wheat, I'm not sure that will be so good.

Sorry for the late reply, forgot about this thread:

Thanks again for all the posts! I will remember this next time. Although I have to admit I'm a sucker for anything "imperial" so it wasn't all bad ;)

Back