Toppling Goliath KBBS/Assassin '17 Release

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder how much of the beer community loses respect for TG over stuff like this vs. thinking they're completely brilliant.

Look at the number of people willing to line up in subzero temperatures for the "privilege" of paying $200 for 3 bottles of beer and I think you have an answer.

Look at the number of people willing to line up in subzero temperatures for the "privilege" of paying $200 for 3 bottles of beer and I think you have an answer.
Unfortunately I think you're mistaking "respect for the brewery" for "respect for secondary/black market profits".

The number of people lining up in subzero temperatures for the "privelege" of paying $200 for 3 bottles of beer has nothing to do with respect. Those people each have their own various motivations for attending that release and buying those beers, whether it be a cool roadtrip with fellow geeks, ticking rare beers, the secondary market, or something else.

I'm talking about having a release that most attendees spent a good amount of time and money to attend, then a week later dropping a nugget about an uber-exclusive variant. They're free to do what they want but it screams "look at us!". I think it would have been much cooler to reward (I use that word loosely) people for attending last Friday by entering them in a lottery for the chance to buy a bottle of VB.

The number of people lining up in subzero temperatures for the "privelege" of paying $200 for 3 bottles of beer has nothing to do with respect. Those people each have their own various motivations for attending that release and buying those beers, whether it be a cool roadtrip with fellow geeks, ticking rare beers, the secondary market, or something else.

My point is that I doubt people would do this for a brewery they don't respect. Maybe I'm conflating my own feelings with those of others.

My point is that I doubt people would do this for a brewery they don't respect. Maybe I'm conflating my own feelings with those of others.

Point taken, and entirely possible.

I think most people would do this for beers they really enjoy, really want to tick or really want to make money reselling, before considering their feelings towards the brewery.

I think most people would do this for beers they really enjoy, really want to tick or really want to make money reselling, before considering their feelings towards the brewery.

To be honest, I wasn't even considering people who bought the beers with plans of re-selling. I know the secondary market is a thing, but it's one I try to ignore because it's such a stupid way to make money.

This.

In all honesty, how many out of the 1,000 or so bottles of KBBS do you think will actually be drank by the original purchaser? Trade value and secondary market prices are probably more important to people than respect for the brewery.

I'm gonna drink mine. The offers are of course tempting but I didn't go to BFE Iowa just to turn around and give it up.

It was a really great experience. I'm really excited I got to try Pulpit Rock beers above almost everything else. That place was great. Would do again.
It was a really great experience. I'm really excited I got to try Pulpit Rock beers above almost everything else. That place was great. Would do again.
Pulpit Rock is legit. I'd much rather grab a beer there than at TG.

ThreadNecromancer.png

Anyone going to the Assassin release next month? Would love to touch tips with some TBers.

Any recommendations for the area?

Pulpit and Courtyard will be a **** show, but absolutely worth going to. Tbocks usually has a pretty decent draft list and passable food(of which there isn't much in Decorah). If you're flying into Minny, definitely hit Forager on the way down.

I would recommend anyone to take this trip if they can. Last year was a lot of fun. You can explore most of the city in a day and the beer is great. Pulpit Rock had a lot of really great stuff on tap. It's quite the experience

By the way for what it's worth, I had this at Wakefest and it was my favorite beer of the day. I enjoyed it a lot more than the 2016 version. It's a really well executed, no frills barrel-aged stout, although I saw a lot of comments crapping on it because it wasn't a sweet fudge bomb or whatever. I think I had 4 or 5 pours, since incredibly there was basically no line for it for the first hour as everyone waited in the VIP line for the Wakefield pastry stouts. It reminded me of some of my favorite batches of Parabola, for one point of comparison.

Lol $510 for a 6 pack

Pass

Limit "2 styles", moron!

Also lol, that's awesome. I wonder how many idiots within a 4 hour driving radius immediately jumped in their cars with raffle prices flashing through their eyes.

Compton25 what did you think of the beer? I was a big fan last month when I got to drink it, but that seemed to be a minority opinion.

Limit "2 styles", moron!

Also lol, that's awesome. I wonder how many idiots within a 4 hour driving radius immediately jumped in their cars with raffle prices flashing through their eyes.

Compton25 what did you think of the beer? I was a big fan last month when I got to drink it, but that seemed to be a minority opinion.

Oh well in that case what a ****ing deal.

Limit "2 styles", moron!

I really liked it. On tap it was liquid fudge brownies that reminded me of BCS ‘13. Thick mouthfeel and lots of barrel character. One of the events tonight had coffee Assassin but I’m already back on the road.

Side note, this was the smoothest run beer event I’ve been to.

Back