Topping wort with water. Boil it or just add a campden tablet ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beauvafr

Reaction score
My water have chlorine and comes from municipal facility.

Is is enought just to add a campden tablet to it for each 1 gallon? Or do I have to boil it to avoid micro-organism?

Most will say boil, I boil.. If you boil a day or two ahead of time, and freeze the water into a nice big block (providing you usually have the same amount of top off water) it can also help cool your wort post-boil.

Ok. What about campden? I tough it help to remove chlorine but that it was also a sanitizer.

I've used campden is used in wine and cider making to kill any wild yeasts. You then pitch your intended yeast in ~24hrs. I wouldn't use it for my top up water without waiting a day or two or boiling. I would go with ruger988's method.

I just pour in straight from the tap, never had a problem. I might start freezing some though - I hadn't thought of that.

Campden is generally used in brewing water to remove chlorine/chloramines. The usage is 1 tablet per 20 gallons- one in 1 gallon is a huge amount of sulfite. The ale yeast being used may not appreciate that and may get stressed.

If you want to top off with tap water, and you have chlorine/chloramines in your water, treat all of the water at once before using it as chloramines don't boil off. You can use 1/4 tablet per 5 gallons, before brewing to remove the chlorine and avoid off flavors. Make a bit more, to use for topping off.

I don't ever boil my water before using in beer or wine, but I have good quality water at my house. If your water is iffy, and you're worried about it, you can boil but if that is the case I'd just buy some bottled water.

Finally I crushed about 1/8 campden with 1 gallon fresh tap water, mixed them in a sanitized glass jug. And then I simply pour it in my carboy.

1.090 to 1.057. Tada! ;)

Cheers

Back