Topping up with more juice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karrlot

Reaction score
This is my first batch of wine. I am making chokecherry wine. I started in a bucket with about 20 lbs of fruit and about 4 gallons of water. My SG dropped from 1.085 down to 1.002. I racked it to a 5 gallon carboy. There is probably room for another 1/2 - 3/4 gallon.

I have some frozen chokecherry juice. Should I add that and some sugar water to the carboy so I can get the level of wine up to the neck of the carboy? I don't have access to enough marbles to get the wine up that high.

feel free to top up with juice, it will keep on fermenting.

i prefer juice over water especially with that much space it will thin things out way to much if you use water.

Thanks for your help!

I added 9 cups of juice (that's all I had), 2 quarts of water, and 4 cups of sugar (that was just a WAG).

Do I need to add more pectic enzyme or acid blend? If so, how much?

taste test it later and adjust acid, you could add pectic enzyme it may help it may not, i would add it and give it time if all else fails.

white wine always makes a good neutral top-up media.
cycle a couple batches into your pipeline.

Back